Default Laser Jammer Help!

i need some help on laser jammers. i'm tryin to get a handle on the whole concept. i know a little about radar detectors, but laser jammers are new to me and i'm tryin to figure them out and decide if i need one/want one. now a laser jammer works by jamming a laser gun a officer shoots at you so he can't get your speed right? so really theres no way of tellin how fast your goin? and if that is the case, why do i read about people saying to turn off your laser jammer and slow down when you know you've jammed it? and is it true that most laser jammers dont work? if so, why do people use them and rely on them? how do you even know if it is working? Lidar is fairly new to me also. i'm looking to gain as much information and knowledge as i can on the two, so if anyone could help me understand lidar and laser jammers, it would be much appreciated. thanks guys!

Advanced Member

Default Re: Laser Jammer Help!

Quote Originally Posted by music_man185
    now a laser jammer works by jamming a laser gun a officer shoots at you so he can't get your speed right? so really theres no way of tellin how fast your goin?
    Correct.
    But, no jammer will jam every gun every time at all distances. In many cases the officer will be able to get a speed reading once you get close.
    and if that is the case, why do i read about people saying to turn off your laser jammer and slow down when you know you've jammed it?
    There's a few reasons completely jamming the officer isn't a good idea!
    If police see jammers become a problem, more and more states will pass laws against them. You don't want him to be suspicious of you, he might follow you to try to find a reson to pull you over and ticket you anyway. No jammer will completely jam the officer all the time at all distances, so you should slow to legal speed anyway if you don't want a ticket. So turn off the jammer when you've slowed to legal speed and let the officer do his job and get a speed reading.

and is it true that most laser jammers dont work?
    There are many laser jammers that work. There are some out there that don't and that is why people test them.

if so, why do people use them and rely on them?
    Because they work.

how do you even know if it is working?
    Most units have a self-test that should indicate if the unit is having a problem. If that isn't enough, you can also get laser testers out there that will at least make sure the unit activates.

so the best thing to do is to leave your jammer on until it detects a lidar and jams it. then once you jam it slow down and turn it off. that way the cop will get a reading, but you'll already be goin the speed limit. am i right? what will the cops lidar gun say? will it say jammed, and then if he goes for a second shot, it will say the drivers speed? if this is the case...what if the cop doesn't go for a second try? also...i've read about jtg's and punch through's and stuff. what are these terms?

Advanced Member

so the best thing to do is to leave your jammer on until it detects a lidar and jams it. then once you jam it slow down and turn it off. that way the cop will get a reading, but you'll already be goin the speed limit. am i right?
    Yep.

what will the cops lidar gun say? will it say jammed, and then if he goes for a second shot, it will say the drivers speed? if this is the case...what if the cop doesn't go for a second try?
    Having a gun indicate jamming isn't much of an issue, because:

Prolaser III = does not indicate jamming
    LTI Guns (20/20, Marksman, Ultralyte) = No LTI gun had indicated jamming in any GOL test against any current jammer. The only jammers that would trigger a JAM indication on an LTI gun are older jammers like the Lidatek LE-10 and the Target LE-850.
    Stalker LZ-1 = Jamming code of E04 comes up a lot during operation, even on vehicles with no jammer, so this wouldn't automatically be suspicious.
    Laser Atlanta = Just added jamming indication recently. Probably VERY few guns out there with this feature right now.

Ideally, if he releases the trigger and pulls again, the gun will still be jammed unless you are very close, and he won't get a reading unless you have turned off the jammer.

also...i've read about jtg's and punch through's and stuff. what are these terms?
    These terms are generally used in testing to indicate the following:
    JTG = Complete jam, no speed reading obtained at any distance
    Punchthrough = speed reading obtained at XXX number of feet

ok, i think i got it. thanks for all your help professor. i know that laser jammers are legal in my state (NC). but i am not sure how often laser is used in my area since i live in a real small place, so i dont know if i would even need a laser jammer. i'm awaiting my rx65 in the mail, so maybe i will get an alert here and there and will give me an idea. being that the rx65 isn't good at detecting laser at all, how many laser alerts do you think i should get before considering a laser jammer?

i've been reading around a little on the forum, and it seems that North Carolina has little to no laser. some say that NC doesn't have any, others swear they have seen or been pulled by laser. regardless, as small as my town is, if laser is that rare, i dont think i have anything to worry about. i guess my radar betector will do me just fine.