Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Hit with 2 lasers at the same time?

Coming back from an adventure park yesterday, I was travelling eastbound on I70 in MD...just before you cross the Carroll County line into Howard, the MSP and the Carroll County Sheriff had a massive laser trap (with about 7 cruisers).

Question, can any of the laser jammers block two laser guns pointed at the same target? The reason I asked is that both the MSP and the sheriff had laser guns (2 guns in the same speed trap, I've never seen that before).
    What if they targeted the same vehicle (and it had a jammer), would the current jammers be able to block both, or would one of the laser guns "punch through?"

Thanks.

Michael

Advanced Member

Some older high-frequency jammers, like the Lidatek LE-10 and Target LE-850, can jam multiple guns at once because of the method they use to jam.

With the current "smart" jammers on the market, in general only the first gun that targets the vehicle will be jammed. The second one will get a speed reading.

Theoretically, is possible that one of today's jammers could jam two of the same model gun at the same time, IF the pulses just happen to fall within nanoseconds of each other. But the chances of that happening are extremely low.

Experienced

Maybe the LEOs are on to/adopting a new (at least new to me) technique to overcome todays laser jammers by having 2 guns focus on 1 target.

Michael

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by declansdad
    Maybe the LEOs are on to/adopting a new (at least new to me) technique to overcome todays laser jammers by having 2 guns focus on 1 target.

Michael
    Boy I can see the techies rushing out now for a second unit with a delayed shutter.

Good Citizen

What if you had a dual head set up and each head was hit with a different gun? Will both heads fire?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by ltilaser
    What if you had a dual head set up and each head was hit with a different gun? Will both heads fire?
    The "Brains" of the unit are in the control module, the exterior heads are just receiving the signal, and transmitting the signal that is sent from the interior control unit. So I highly doubt different heads on the same jammer system could transmit 2 different signals. Even if you had 2 systems running concurrently, they would react to the first signal received by each one and mimic that gun. So if 2 leos targetted at different times, with different pulse-rate guns, the 2nd person to target would get a speed reading in that scenario.

So, this means that maybe the lower-tech lida-units would be superior in this situation if they were not LED based, but diode based instead. but then you would generate jam codes which is a dead giveaway to the lidar operators you are actively jamming. This could be a real bad thing in banned areas

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by ltilaser
    ZR3 would fire both front heads if hooked up to spec. The blinder would fire independently. Now if you hook the ZR3 up with one front head and one back head, it would fire independently.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback
    The "Brains" of the unit are in the control module, the exterior heads are just receiving the signal, and transmitting the signal that is sent from the interior control unit.
    Actually with most jammers the "brains" are in the jammer heads themselves. The control box basically provides power, and receives signals from the jammer heads to give visual and audible notification to the driver.

So, if you had a dual-head unit AND could actually target the two heads independently, then each one would jam the gun that targeted it. In the real-world this scenario would be almost impossible though.

Radar Fanatic

i dont know which one it is, but one of outruns videos shows him being shot by two LEO's with laser and he jammed them both i believe..not jtg but still jammed them both for some time

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by richardboy316
    i dont know which one it is, but one of outruns videos shows him being shot by two LEO's with laser and he jammed them both i believe..not jtg but still jammed them both for some time
    but I think outrun's truck had more than one system in front (More than one brain box so possible to jam multiple signals)

I also find it funny that Jammers going ACTIVE set off other jammers into going active, so youve got jammers jamming jammers, then the Laser gun comes in............