Good Citizen

Default Does cruise control measure device affect lidar guns?

I see some new cars like the LS430 and FX35 have infrared detectors for the distance in front for cruise control. When this is working, does anyone know if it alters lidar readings? Seems like it's using the same technology to determin distance.

Manufacturer

Default A Mercedes Salesman Once Said Yes

A recent statement from a Merc. rep that such devices can interfere with Laser Speed measurement equipment.

Just think of an S600 as a $120K jaser jammer!

Real nice, isn't it... A laser jammer that can seat 5 comfortably!

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Good Citizen

Hmmm... finally a reason to use cruise control!
    Imagine setting your cruise control to 100MPH and messing up the Lidar gun.

Lead Foot

Cruise control on the MAX works the same way except it's 2 separate buttons. I can also use the RESUME button to decrease speed instead of shutting it completely off or using the brakes. If I had an M20 installed I'd set it to the MAX whatever that is. Of course my speedo tops out @140mph (I think), but the car will go much faster.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP a few times on some rural expressways, where you need "use the supercharger" a lot...

Anyway the GM cruise control has an interesting feature, the "R/A" button. Let's say you are driving 120km/h 75mi/h and press in the R/A slider to "A", and let go - the car accelerates to 76mi/h. But hold it in and the car accelerates about 1 mi/h per second or two...

So I was holding it in "A" until I saw the head's up display start flashing "199" (km/h) over and over again... 8)
    isnt it amazing how strong the boost kicks in when hitting the "accelerate" button? 8) its like the ECM knows exactly where the "sweet spot" is, whereas an unskilled driver (moi) doesnt...

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    so I held the switch in acclerate, pulled my legs back and shouted "it's not slowing down!!!"
    hahaha that would probibally give my mother a heart attack

Lead Foot

If you've never driven a Maxima, you don't know what you're missing. Especially the '00-03 w/265hp. Just can't give up the '98. 8)

Lead Foot

I have no problems with mine. I feel the overdrive snatch instantly at 80mph and within 10ths of secs, I'm at 100+. It scares me sometimes, especially after putting in BOSCHE platinum 4plugs. May be because it's an auto-trans.

That '02 was 265hp, my '96 and '98 are both 190 hp SE.

Lead Foot

I still need to take a '04-'05 out for a test run. See what it can actually do. It's beefed up even more you know. Just don't like the body style too much. Oh, if I could drop that engine in my '98....