Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Is Not Illegal Good Enough?

I read a lot here about laser jammers, and I don't live in a state that bans them (Louisiana).

BUT...

If a cop knows you're using one, is there maybe something else he can get you for? I'm not sure what, because I haven't studied law, but it seems that jamming police laser might not be legal just because it hasn't been spelled out. Yet.

Scratonicity Groupie

my roommate got a ticket for jamming a LEO and being a complete idiot so he deserved one. The LEO never got a reading but he said he got a visual reading. So he wrote him a ticket for 5mph over, and if my roommate would of had the same balls he uses in his car and applied them to the court room he could of easily won. Visual acquisition is garbage and about as valid basket weaving.

however - if you just slow down in the first couple of seconds and flip it off no one would ever be the wiser

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    however - if you just slow down in the first couple of seconds and flip it off no one would ever be the wiser
    x1,000,000,000,000. Really good advice.

RDNXXX

Not clear so did the visual hold up in court, or is this yet to be determined.

I would think the judge would throw that out of court.

but nothing surprises me though , its all about revenue, as if you dont pay enough taxes.

Experienced

Default Jam Code

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    Don't some of the laser guns tell the cop that they're being jammed?

Professional

manufacturers try their best so the jammer doesn't display error codes on the gun

Professional

visual estimation is poor at best.

Some cops even say they can do it at night through a mirror, The NMA is dealing with this right now.

Some cops think they write the laws, instead of just enforcing the ones already in the books.

If there is no law that states that jamming laser is illegal, then you cannot be found guilty of a law that does not exist!

although they will cite you for something, or trump up something else if they want you bad enough

Good Citizen

Default Don't underestimate the power of a visual estimation-

Almost every Judge will believe every cop, every time. No matter how stupid the claim, once the law enfarcement orificer says "With my professional training I estimate the speed to be 'X'" you are doomed.
    Don't believe me? Try it in just about any justice court around.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Don't underestimate the power of a visual estimation-

Quote Originally Posted by jws3
    Almost every Judge will believe every cop, every time. No matter how stupid the claim, once the law enfarcement orificer says "With my professional training I estimate the speed to be 'X'" you are doomed.
    Don't believe me? Try it in just about any justice court around.
    This is absolute junk. If that were the case why would LEO uses lidar and radar. A visual est is nothing in court, you don't even need a legal help.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Don't underestimate the power of a visual estimation-

Carter840 says "This is absolute junk. If that were the case why would LEO uses lidar and radar. A visual est is nothing in court, you don't even need a legal help.[/quote]

Really?

Are you a lawyer? I am. Ever spend much time in a courtroom? I have. Guess about how many times out of 100 the average Judge believes Joe Motorist over Officer Liesalot? How about "never".

Go ahead- Cross examine the cop when he says "I have been trained in visual estimation of vehicular speed and have taken courses a,b and c and have "X" years of experience" . See how well you do. :roll:

They use lidar, etc because its faster and more accepted. Visual estimates are a fallback. Don't confuse legal theory with legal reality.