Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Someone in my city got a ticket !

A cop friend of my parents just moved up to traffic officer. He told my parents today that he was shooting laser and was hidden and never could get a reading. So after the vehicle passed him he hit him in the rear and stopped him for speeding. He walked up to the guy and he said you have a laser jammer don't you. The subject said yes. Cop said well that doesn't do you any good for the rear does it? Subject nope. End of story he got a ticket for speeding.

So, I wonder who it was and if they are on this forum but most likely not.

Advanced Member

Stupid stupid slow down to speed limit after you get hit with laser

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Stupid stupid slow down to speed limit after you get hit with laser
    That is what I was thinking. I mean he had to be getting an alert.

Good Citizen

The cop was right, the jammer didn't do him any good: The jammer worked perfectly, the driver malfunctioned.

Radar Fanatic

Doctor Required perhaps!

Should have got a rear jammer aswell....

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Palut
    The jammer worked perfectly, the driver malfunctioned.
    Not necessarily. . . He could have slowed to PSL but LEO knew he was going faster than PSL and just wrote him a ticket for VOBSL and let the guy enjoy it. We all know it could be thrown out for lack of facts. But until you know the real story - its hard to tell.

Speed Demon

There's sufficient lack of detail in outrun's post and can lead to different interpretations.

I am inclined to think that the guy kept speeding and LEO got him. So I agree with Palut's statement completely (btw, I had a good laugh at the way it was said).

I think what we can learn here is that LEOs can counter laser jammers with modified tactics - if this one was thought up on the fly by the LEO then hats off to him. Just because one can JTG doesn't mean one should do it - been said here time and time again.

My crystal ball says that rear shots with lidar aren't too far away folks. I'll be happy if it were wrong though.

Good Citizen

Regardless of what actually happened, the description tells us the smart thing to always do when hit is slow down if necessary, shut off the jammer, and maintain the new speed until you've driven out of danger. As far as new tactics involving rear shots are concerned, thats where the rear head unit will start becoming a standard piece of equipment.

In that situation, it's essentially the same drill...slow down to under PSL if necessary, shut off the jammer, and drive out of danger. Simple.

Guess I'll have to start looking at how to mount a rear unit on my Z.

scrapser

Good Citizen

In Washington state while rear shots aren't as common as front shots, they are standard practice. I personally have been hit 3 times from the rear, 2 resulting in tickets. One was before I found this forum and I thought my ZR-3 would protect me and I stupidly didn't slow fast enough. Thankfully the cop noticed that I slowed from 45 to 35 and only wrote me up for 5 over. The other one was a very well hidden cop on top of an onramp who lasered me from behind. I couldn't do anything at all about that one, it's not physically possible to see someone on top of the onramp until its too late, so it was just like getting instant owned.

If not for rear laser shots, I'd have a perfect driving record right now! :x

Don't procrastinate, when it comes to rear protection THE TIME IS NOW!!!!

Old Timer

The cop was right, the jammer didn't do him any good: The jammer worked perfectly, the driver malfunctioned.
    +1.

In Washington state while rear shots aren't as common as front shots, they are standard practice. I personally have been hit 3 times from the rear, 2 resulting in tickets. One was before I found this forum and I thought my ZR-3 would protect me and I stupidly didn't slow fast enough. Thankfully the cop noticed that I slowed from 45 to 35 and only wrote me up for 5 over. The other one was a very well hidden cop on top of an onramp who lasered me from behind. I couldn't do anything at all about that one, it's not physically possible to see someone on top of the onramp until its too late, so it was just like getting instant owned.

If not for rear laser shots, I'd have a perfect driving record right now! :x

Don't procrastinate, when it comes to rear protection THE TIME IS NOW!!!!
    This is my greatest fear as well - the elevated on-ramp enforcement scenario.

I currently have one of my LPP heads rear-facing, supplemented by a fiberglass replica plate and "filmed" tail-lights, I hope this gives me at least enough protection to slow to quazi-legal speeds.

My ZR3's rear head is angled "up" a little - and I hope that this will also give some supplementary protection from elevated rear-on lidar shots. I know that this may just be hopeful thinking, but heck, it's worth a try, I figure.