Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Idea for Mounting Rear LPP Head Unit

I have a 350Z and there's simply no place to mount a rear head unit on the car unless I wanted to get into some fancy custom body work. The rear license plate is mounted in a rectangular recess. The upper ledge over the plate is where the hatch release and two lights to illuminate the plate are located. It's also too shallow.

So, after watching the video where an angled reflector was demonstrated on the back of an SUV with the head unit pointing straight down, I got an idea of mounting the unit behind the license plate. The plate could be mounted on standoffs to create the necessary space and the reflector would be peeking out from the bottom. This would protect the head unit from the elements and give everything a clean look.

If the time comes when a rear unit is essential, I think this would solve a lot of mounting problems.

scrapser

Old Timer

^ That would be trick! 8)

My only concern would be whether or not the "reflection" would cause potential jamming performance issues? :?:

Good Citizen

Watch the video on the AL G8 website and see what you think. I was pretty impressed.

scrapser

Old Timer

^ Will-do, thanks for the clue-in.

How's your install coming?

Good Citizen

The video to watch is the Stalker video...I forgot to mention that. It's interesting that they show the reflective material to be somewhat flexible and I wonder if it vibrates from the turbulence behind the vehicle. That would seem to counter the importance put on making sure the head unit is level (not that it isn't) and leaves me curious.

I haven't started the install yet but have scoped out where everything will go. All I need is the very front section of the bracket they supplied. That can be mounted to the bar on the front of my car. I want to be careful not to scrape the paint on it when inserting the head unit to prevent any rust problems. For the controls, I can easily go with a simple piece of brushed aluminum bent at an angle and mounted above my right knee. It will be mostly out of sight yet easy to reach when necessary.

I'm wondering how to mount the dual color LED since it doesn't have any housing with a nut and washer like the on/off switch has. Did you buy anything special to mount yours? I might need to make a trip to Radio Shack.

Thanks

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by scrapser
    The video to watch is the Stalker video...I forgot to mention that. It's interesting that they show the reflective material to be somewhat flexible and I wonder if it vibrates from the turbulence behind the vehicle. That would seem to counter the importance put on making sure the head unit is level (not that it isn't) and leaves me curious.
    I downloaded all the vids last night. Indeed, what you'd proposed in the first post would be a very trick install.

I agree, I wonder if there might be some vibration/alignment issues of the "reflector strip," but it seems, from the video, that it's not a concern.

Perhaps trying to make this area even more "fixed" would be worthwhile - if for nothing else than your peace-of-mind. A piece of bent aluminum, along with a true mirror, would do, I'd imagine.

The other concern I would have would be how well this woulc cover off-angle shots. It would seem to me that such a reflector assembly may not catch all incoming angles equally....

I'm wondering how to mount the dual color LED since it doesn't have any housing with a nut and washer like the on/off switch has. Did you buy anything special to mount yours? I might need to make a trip to Radio Shack.
    In the controls sub-package, you should have a little (black) plastic LED holder.

It kinda looks like a little cylinder with a beveled, raised, outer edge. The two "clips" off to either side, on the inside, will hold the LED, allowing it to poke through the center of the cylinder. The beveled edge is slightly larger than the diameter of the hole you'd need to cut to insert this holder, and thus allows for both a pretty, clean, finished-and-dressed look as well as serves as a firm ledge that anchors this assembly (when the LED's been inserted, not only does the clips of this holder engage to lock the LED in-place, but the LED in-turn "fattens" those two ears onto which the clips have been molded, and thus pushes these ears "out," effectively serving as an anchor on the inside of whatever panel that you've drilled the holder to go in to).

It looks kinda like one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Thanks
    No need to thank me, bruddah - I'm just glad to help - and heck, I've gotta thank you for pointing out that video and your very trick install idea!

Good Citizen

Looks like my package arrived minus the LED holder. There's a little bag with some screws, velco mounts, pull-ties, and a bubble level but that's all. The LED holder in the link you posted looks like it's all I need. I'll probably just go pick one up and send a note to the company to let them know they goofed.

I don't think angle shots would be a problem. If any infrared hits that reflector I'm sure the short distance between it and the sensor will compensate for any odd angles of reflecting light. By the same token, it should also serve to throw its own signal out in a wide area.

I'm not worried about rear shots for now...this is something I'll probably monitor and if it seems needed, will install. I don't drive that much. My car is 10 months old and has 6000 on it. I'm mainly concerned with protecting myself on the few long distance trips I take a couple times a year to visit family. That's when I'm pushing it to make time on a 500 mile trip.

scrapser

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by scrapser
    Looks like my package arrived minus the LED holder. There's a little bag with some screws, velco mounts, pull-ties, and a bubble level but that's all. The LED holder in the link you posted looks like it's all I need. I'll probably just go pick one up and send a note to the company to let them know they goofed.
    ^ There's definitely a small rough-area to work out for the start-up, as my package arrived without the screws/Velcro/ties/level, but I also sent a kind note, as I understand that start-ups can be rather difficult, and the rough-patch wasn't anything too bad. Besides, it's all things that I have access to and are rather cheap, as you cited for your own missing item.

I don't think angle shots would be a problem. If any infrared hits that reflector I'm sure the short distance between it and the sensor will compensate for any odd angles of reflecting light. By the same token, it should also serve to throw its own signal out in a wide area.
    Good point - looks like this could definitely use some good independent testing! GOL, are any of you guys watching this thread?

:wink:

I'm not worried about rear shots for now...this is something I'll probably monitor and if it seems needed, will install. I don't drive that much. My car is 10 months old and has 6000 on it. I'm mainly concerned with protecting myself on the few long distance trips I take a couple times a year to visit family. That's when I'm pushing it to make time on a 500 mile trip.
    Hum....that's an interesting take.

Let me present you with my thoughts, just so you can chew over this some more. I'm not saying that you're wrong, my friend - I'm just giving you something to think about; so that we can brainstorm together, if you will.

I was originally not very worried about rear-enforcement. My original plan had been to mount both heads up front.

However, I thought about it for a couple of nights, and decided that my Six was just too, too unprotected. That ZR3 I have out-back has been shown by others here to offer virtually no protection on that aspect of the vehicle, and even though I also rarely drive on longer highway trips (local enforcement via LIDAR on surface-streets are all front-on only), it's precisely that possibility that I do fear, especially as I selectively speed only on open highways.

I'm awaiting testing to see if having just one head up-front is enough to cover my vehicle. I'm not looking for JTG, so as long as I get decently short PTs, I'm more than happy. If not, I will, without hesitation, move my rear head up-front -- at least until I save up enough pennies to get me a rear head.

Good Citizen

I'm still going to wait and see on the need for a rear unit. I've been driving the same route for years and know where to expect trouble. Most of the time I drive the national speed limit (75) which 90% of the motorists on the Interstates travel at (even the police). But when the road opens up and I'm away from congestion, I usually push it up to 80-85 which is when I need protection.

If I'm lucky, I employ a bird dog (someone speeding faster than I am). I keep about a 1/4 mile behind that car and let him flush out the hot spots. It's worked for me twice so far. The Conn./Mass. border is usually a bad spot as the Mass. Troopers tend to like setting up a welcoming committee just after the state line. But they also pick places with good cover on Saturday mornings that vary, so you have to be careful.

scrapser

Old Timer

Roger that - sounds like a good plan. 8)

Honestly, at your posted travel speeds, you really should be fine - certainly, the Z will not garner you any points from the enforcers, but you're obviously not doing the "speed demon" thing, either.

I'd say that your use of a "bird dog," even at the higher of your posted speeds, should still, as you mentioned, give you more than enough warning.

[ Oh, by way of "Forum speak" - "bird dogs" here are called "rabbits." :wink: ]

Thanks for the tip about that particular state-line.