Unlike GOLs testing, this one is testing jammers already installed on cars belonging to some of my colleagues or their friends. I have no clue on when some of them were bought/installed, these guys just wanted to know what kind of performance they can expect. No videos this time.
The LTI Marksman and Kustom ProLaser III/Lite are used in this state. Oregon/British Columbia/Idaho, our neighbouring states/provinces, have a wider variety. I haven't been able to get my hands on a ProLaser III, this test is with an LTI Marksman.
A couple of others with an SRX and Lidatek couldn't be there - one cancelled at last minute, the other couldn't make it.
Vehicles and Laser Countermeasures:
- 2005 BMW 325 Silver sedan w/ Blinder Xtreme M20 (front) + M20 (rear) - bought 06/2006
- 2005 Audi A4 Silver sedan w/ Blinder Xtreme M20 (front) - 02/2007
- 2005 BMW Z4 Dark Blue convertible (no front license plate) w/ Laser Pro Park 8.3 (SW v10.1) Dual head - bought 01/2007
(all jammer sales from authorized dealers)
LTI Marksman 20/20 with 2X Scope (this gun stops xmitting once it gets speed lock or an error code)
- Shoot anywhere to get speed lock (plate, headlights, fog lights, grille)
- Regular shooting style is to press trigger until speed lock or error code from lidar gun requiring retrigger (note: not the 'jammer interference' error code)
- QT indicates quick triggering (approx 0.25-1.0 second trigger press) to get speed lock
- Speed lock distances in feet
- Sometimes distances being read out were too fast to note down, so just the unknown digits are marked with 'xx'
- Starting point was about 2200' away
BMW 325 Silver sedan (Front) (very stealthy install in lower grille)
Base Run (w/o tripod): 1887, 1610, 1394, 1155, 926, 347
Run A1 (w/o tripod): 1637, 1462, 1355, Jam, 875, Jam, 316
Run A2 (w/o tripod): 1875, 1756, 1633, Jam, 1070, 852, Jam, 268, 98
Run B1 (w/ tripod): 1072, 1351, 1237, 1107, 930, 817, 674, Jam, 342, 196
Run B2 (w/ tripod): 1939, 1796, 1666, 1534, 1387, 1273, 1148, 981, 842, 584, 275
Run C1 QT (w/ tripod): 2027, 1327, 1175, 1071, 801, Jam, Jam, Jam, 373
Run C2 QT (w/ tripod): 1979, 1899, 1694, 1303, 1191, 1037, 855, 757, 670, 546
Audi A4 Silver sedan (Front) (stealthy install behind grille)
Base Run (w/o tripod): 2096, 1766, 15xx, 13xx, 11xx, 9xx, 760, 5xx, 273, 216
Run A1 (w/o tripod): Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, 263
Run A2 (w/o tripod): Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, 254
Run B1 (w/ tripod): Jam, 1827, 1530, 1262, 965, 820, 636, 462, 305, Jam, 140
Run B2 (w/ tripod): Jam (exact number of trigger presses not recorded), 506, 340, 159
Run C1 QT (w/ tripod): 1694, 1408, 1142, 1013, 766, 514, 297
Run C2 QT (w/ tripod): Jam (exact number of trigger presses not recorded), 467, Jam, 185
BMW Z4 Blue convertible (Front) (unstealthy install under fender)
Base Run (w/o tripod): 2137, 2099, 1346, 1041, 890, 620, 5xx, 4xx, 3xx, 25x
Run A1 (w/o tripod): Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, Jam, 255
Run A2 (w/o tripod): Jam all way to gun
Run B1 (w/ tripod): Jam all way to gun
Run B2 (w/ tripod): Jam all way to gun
Run C1 QT (w/ tripod): Jam (exact number of trigger presses not recorded), 328*
Run C2 QT (w/ tripod): Jam (exact number of trigger presses not recorded), 331
BMW 325 Silver sedan (Rear) (both heads right over license plate)
Base Run (w/ tripod): 101, 188, 3xx, 361, 407, 584, 75x, 84x
Run B1 (w/ tripod): 178, Jam, 467, Jam, Jam, Jam, 1130, 1496
Run C1 QT (w/ tripod): 95, 152, 212, 322, 394, 402, 672, Jam, 894, Jam, 1183, 2148
* = I heard (and saw out of corner of eye) an SUV pass me and realized it was going to pass between the lidar gun and Z4, I was being jammed so I improvised and waited for passenger side headlight of Z4 to show up behind SUV and shot it to get speed lock - before the jammer heads could see the lidar gun.
Point was to demonstrate:
- that a knowledgeable person can improvise and defeat the jammer with tactics - moot if one slows down right after alert
- sometimes the jammer head may be obstructed
We are going to look into similar test runs at night to see if there is any performance difference. We are also considering real speed trap style scenarios in near future - we hope our work schedules and clear weather cooperate.
EDIT: I should add that both M-20s were installed 'stealth' either behind the grille (Audi A4) or pretty well recessed between grille slats (BMW 325). The M-20 heads on the BMW 325 have been repositioned and retested - results below.