Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default question here speeding with a laser jammer

HI i got a quick questiom just wondering something here. say for example your on the highway doing 100+ miles and hour and you have a jammer, and a leo sees you just going by fast, passing all these cars and he lasers you as soon as you get laserd you slowed down to psl, but the leo new you were atleat going 100 and over, can he still pull you over and give you a speeding ticked if he didnt know how fast you were going, by the way this wasnt me, i just saw a car on the higways going atleat 100 and over.

Good Citizen

Oh yea, im pretty sure leo's are trained to estimate your speed within like 5mph.

Lead Foot

However, solely visual estimates aren't enough proof to get a 'conviction' in court, correct?

Power User

Default Re: question here speeding with a laser jammer

Quote Originally Posted by rsxti
    HI i got a quick questiom just wondering something here. say for example your on the highway doing 100+ miles and hour and you have a jammer, and a leo sees you just going by fast, passing all these cars and he lasers you as soon as you get laserd you slowed down to psl, but the leo new you were atleat going 100 and over, can he still pull you over and give you a speeding ticked if he didnt know how fast you were going, by the way this wasnt me, i just saw a car on the higways going atleat 100 and over.
    It depends on the state or country you are in. In most states, yes they could write some sort of ticket.

I know in Virginia a LEO could write you if the LEO witnessed you drive by at over 100 mph. One of their options in Virginia would be to give you a Reckless Driving - Generally ticket. Then they would testify in court what they observed your vehicle doing and that they had to stop you because you were endangering the public or some $hit like that. Most likely the judge would convict your a$$ of it unless you hired a lawyer to plea it down.

Professional

Default Re: question here speeding with a laser jammer

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    Quote Originally Posted by rsxti
    It depends on the state or country you are in. In most states, yes they could write some sort of ticket.

I know in Virginia a LEO could write you if the LEO witnessed you drive by at over 100 mph. One of their options in Virginia would be to give you a Reckless Driving - Generally ticket. Then they would testify in court what they observed your vehicle doing and that they had to stop you because you were endangering the public or some $hit like that. Most likely the judge would convict your a$$ of it unless you hired a lawyer to plea it down.

Happened to me, cop claimed I was recklessly speeding and wrote me up for RD-general.................yet he was 3 cars behind me :roll: . Happened to have a lucky day in court since the officer didn't show up to court and got it dropped to improper driving, a minor offense.

RD-general is BS since it is based soley on the officer's discretion........and that varies greatly from officer to officer.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by twentyseventy
    However, solely visual estimates aren't enough proof to get a 'conviction' in court, correct?
    I know laws vary from state to state, but I'm sure in any of the fifty states the easiest way for the LEO to make your life difficult is to charge you with reckless driving (been there done that).

In my home state a visual estimate will hold up in court and result in a conviction every time. Your plea bargain options become "traveling too fast for conditions" or "unreasonable speed", nonetheless the end result is a conviction and a fine.

Officers are trained to determine speed visually, and this type of ticket is almost impossible to beat.

You have a better chance of beating a ticket when the numbers come from a speed measuring device rather than visual estimate. At least you can challenge the calibration of the unit, or claim that the some other vehicle was actually clocked by the unit.

The court will always believe the officers estimate and there is no way to refute it. The only way to win is to take it to trial and hope the officer does not show up.

Speedtrap Crasher

I think the jammer is good for just long distance 15-20 over PSL. 25+ over and you are some kind of toast. My one laser ticket was around 1,000 ft for 15 over PSL. The jammer would have saved me on this hit had I owned it at the time.

"Too fast for conditions" is a pretty big net for speeding anywhere in the triple digits.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Newcomer
    No matter where you go, thats where you are!

Yes, your going to get a ticket in most states...

Let's put the shoe on the other foot... I am the @ssclown flying down the road at 100+ mph while your with your family out on this lovely Easter weekend and on the same road I am flying down. I go flying by you at 100+ mph. I am risking you and your family, your kids for what? Late for church? Late for a volleyball game? Late for work?

If your driving that fast on populated streets with other drivers you deserve the ticket. Period.

The jammer is a tool to help you if used responsibly, but what your asking about is blatant abuse and it won't take long before jammers will be illegal in all 50 states if the owners of the jammers are going to abuse their technology edge.

So if that is your purpose for getting a jammer, please don't.

Good Citizen

Default Don't think a visual estimate won't convict you. It will.

Quote Originally Posted by twentyseventy
    Don't think a visual estimate won't convict you. It will. Such is totally admissible and WILL sink you. When it comes down to your word vs. law enfarcement you lose.

Advanced Member

Going that fast on the highway you deserve to be caught

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96