Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default What would happen with THREE heads?

Curious-

Like many, I have a dual head set up (twin LE30) units in both cars. I also have an extra head I'm not using just yet. What would happen if in my current car or the next (I have my eye on a 335xi) if I mounted THREE heads in the front? I don't have rear protection as I havn't been able to figure out how to neatly mount the unit without it looking really bad and, worse still, really obvious.

Also, would it make a difference if the unit was an LPP or AL?

Professional

With an AL or LPP, two heads will provide plenty of protection.

Good Citizen

Default True, but is 3 better than two? If so, by how much?

Adequate is subjective. I'm still curious if 3 is better than two and if so, by how much?

My query is not budget related or dependent. I'm more curious to see how steep the diminishing return curve would be, if at all.

Advanced Member

3 heads are better than 2 just like 2 is better than one....If you haven't had trouble in the past with the Lidateks you should be good with them.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Cheetah Rep

i don't think anyone has actually done a test on a vehicle, going from say 1 to 4 heads of a particular jammer.

if 2 heads were spaced out more towards the headlights and the third covered CM shots, that would give you better HL protection in traffic, since if your vehicle was partially blocked and you got shot, but the head closer to a headlight was able to pick that up and start firing back you would be better off than if the head was closer in and didn't catch the shot at first.

the biggest thing is the amount of variables that come into play. what type of vehicle, where will the heads fit/go. color, shape, what guns, where do they aim, etc.. all play factors.

unfortunately without personal testing, the standard answer from the manufacturers of "x amount of heads per vehicle size" just doesn't cut it.
    too many vehicle shapes, sizes and colors, that can affect jammer performance.

as a "whole" i would lean towards yes, 3 is better than 2, for your answer.
    by how much, not sure. that would need to be tested.

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    i don't think anyone has actually done a test on a vehicle, going from say 1 to 4 heads of a particular jammer.

if 2 heads were spaced out more towards the headlights and the third covered CM shots, that would give you better HL protection in traffic, since if your vehicle was partially blocked and you got shot, but the head closer to a headlight was able to pick that up and start firing back you would be better off than if the head was closer in and didn't catch the shot at first.

the biggest thing is the amount of variables that come into play. what type of vehicle, where will the heads fit/go. color, shape, what guns, where do they aim, etc.. all play factors.

unfortunately without personal testing, the standard answer from the manufacturers of "x amount of heads per vehicle size" just doesn't cut it.
    too many vehicle shapes, sizes and colors, that can affect jammer performance.

as a "whole" i would lean towards yes, 3 is better than 2, for your answer.
    by how much, not sure. that would need to be tested.
    Yes more are better but take it from me who has more jammers on one vehicle than anyone else (LE10,Dual LPP,Laser Mimic, and Blinder)
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Old Timer

RacerX's post is excellent - there are many variables at-play. His reply is very well-thought, thorough, and should be taken to-heart.

As for your question, jsw3, about which unit (AL vs. LPP) is better - well, currently, there are some differences in performance...just look to the GOL testing. If performance is your sole and only concern, I would simply look in-detail at their test results, and base your product selection on matching performance with the enforcement hardware you're most likely to encounter in your area.

Good Citizen

Default Yup, more is, or should be, better. Perhaps a GOL test?

Whattya think? How about a GOL test using 3 or 4 heads? I am curious to see if the law of diminishing returns applies and if so, to what extent.

I'll keep the LE30 heads for now & wait to see what the LI turns out to be.

Either way, since I have a 3rd unused head I'll probably stick on my next car, which is likely to be a 335xi. Torn between ordering an '07 now or an '08 in August. I'm leaning towards waiting.

One more thing- How many heads can the cheetah device accept? Should make installation in my next car MUCH easier!

Professional

How many heads can the cheetah device accept? Should make installation in my next car MUCH easier!
    It will, but it's the jammers own control box that determines how many heads you can have, not the Cheetah Wireless Fitting Kit. Our WFK does not connect direcly to the jammer heads. It connects to the jammer systems control box instead of the original Piezo buzzer. So the AL / LPP control boxes can accept up to 4 heads now, LE30 3 heads, Blinder 4 heads, etc.

The exact same principle applies to the Laser Jammer Interfaces for the GPS mirror and the Vizalert.

Good Citizen

Default Follow up questions on the cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by allyoops
    How many heads can the cheetah device accept? Should make installation in my next car MUCH easier!
    It will, but it's the jammers own control box that determines how many heads you can have, not the Cheetah Wireless Fitting Kit. Our WFK does not connect direcly to the jammer heads. It connects to the jammer systems control box instead of the original Piezo buzzer. So the AL / LPP control boxes can accept up to 4 heads now, LE30 3 heads, Blinder 4 heads, etc.
    So, how exactly does the Cheetah work? Do you have a link to or copy of installation instructions? Where do the jammer heads plug into? What other wiring is needed? Gotta think this through as I am likely to order a 335xi this summer as soon as '08 models can be ordered.