Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Highly technical questions on Laser Guns and Jammers

All,
    I'm an electrical engineer and after my last ticket I decided it's time to design my own laser jammer as a project. I have some techincal questions though that I hope some of the knowledgeble people here can answer. Thanks in advance. Also, I doubt I'm going to try and sell anything I make. I'll make the schematic and parts list public if we get something that works

1) What is this "punchthrough" that everyone talks about. Is this the point at which the laser guns signal is strong enough to get a reading?

2) What is the power rating of the laser diode in the Lidar gun (it would be great if you could also provide the model of the gun).

3) What jammers on the market use a laser diode? What jammers use a IR LED array?

4)Does anyone know the profile or signal that the jammer is trying to replicate? I read you want a a few nano second pulse repeated at 1 kHz. Sound right or way off (I'm going to put adjustments on the prototype for frequency and duration, but I need to be in the ball park to start the design)

That seems like a good starting point.

Thanks again,
    Fedds

Radar Fanatic

1) "Punch Through" is the point at which a jammer ceases to be effective as the vehicle approaches the lidar gun. In general, jammers start working at around 1000ft but can't keep the car cloaked at very short range (~300ft and in.)

2) Don't know...might be able to derive that from the specifications of a LIDAR gun.

3) The Lidatek uses a laser diode and I think that everybody else uses an array over-driven LEDs like you were talking about in the other thread.

4) Not sure. I read somewhere that the pulse rates vary between 100 and 400Hz depending on the gun. Each manufacturer is different and some, like the Laser Atlanta, can even switch between different patterns in an attempt to confuse detectors and jammers. (And it works!)

Experienced

3) I know actually Lidatek LE-30 and Target LT-400 with laser diodes. All other products (eg. Blinder) use IR LED as I know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T-T
    3) I know actually Lidatek LE-30 and Target LT-400 with laser diodes. All other products (eg. Blinder) use IR LED as I know.
    The Antilaser AL6 use laser diodes.

Newcomer

Hmmm, a gun that varies it's frequency?!?! That's just plain mean. Up till now I was pretty sure that my unit would continually jam and would not try to detect. Now though I have to rethink this.

See, most of the LED's I've seen might operate at 1W (and you can over drive them some). I was looking at a 25-45W laser diode (still need to make sure it's not going to cause eye damage to bystanders). At any rate, that amount of energy being emitted all the time is going to really make any detection in the vehicle difficult. I could you some detection scheme, then alter my jamming pattern to the incoming frequency with some phase shifting to really mess with the gun.

How about this, what size fuse does the blinder and Lidatek units use? The diodes I was planning on using can pull up to 25 amps a piece! (for a very short amount of time...30nS...needs alot of power filtering just so you radio will operate near this beast

Radar Fanatic

Sorry, I didn't mean variable on-the-fly. (I worded that badly.) I mean it has two modes. One is the normal pulsing and the other is bursts of two. It works because most detectors and jammers will only alert if they see a burst of three or more. The V1 doesn't need that, for whatever reason, so it picks up the "stealth mode" just fine.

Scratonicity Groupie

JTW: Do you have access to any of the gun manufactures spec's he could see? I know alot of there sites offer the info if you are registered, but us common folk, well they wont let us register

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    JTW: Do you have access to any of the gun manufactures spec's he could see? I know alot of there sites offer the info if you are registered, but us common folk, well they wont let us register
    This info is kept proprietary. You're talking about pulse train patterns right? I don't know the specifics and if I did know it that would destroy all bridges on this side of the fence I'm on. I can test laser jammers and such, but I can't give company secrets.

Radar Fanatic

you dont need the manufacturers specs all you need is a laser gun and a lab and equipment to test it out!

this is all what stealth microsystems do!

but on saying that all rd and jammer manufacturers have theses specs!
    otherwise their products wouldnt work..

if your like mike valentine it shouldnt take too long to make one!

Newcomer

this and an ir sensor would do the job!