Newcomer

Default What does the PO see/do when they get a jam?

OK, say I'm driving down the freeway doing 10 over the speed limit, I get a laser reading and I press the button to jam it. What does the officer see on his gun? Also what would a typical officer do in that situation? Thanks for answering the newb question....

Lead Foot

Visit the GuysofLidar website ( www.guysoflidar.com ) and check out the GOL 2007 test results. They've done an excellent job of showing what (if any) error codes each of the tested guns displayed, this will answer your question. But in general, a gun will display a error code or jam code but no speed.

Also, check out the video's posted to see how some of the guns react to various jammers.

What do Leo's do?

That depends on where you live, how illegal jammers are & what mood the Leo is in. You may be ignored, or you may be stopped & hassled even if jammers are not outlawed in that state.

This is why you should avoid JTG, adjust your speed and turn off the jammer regardless, this is the smartest approach.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: What does the PO see/do when they get a jam?

Quote Originally Posted by fdsjr
    OK, say I'm driving down the freeway doing 10 over the speed limit, I get a laser reading and I press the button to jam it. What does the officer see on his gun? Also what would a typical officer do in that situation? Thanks for answering the newb question....
    He probably stops you and writes you a ticket. (if he thinks 10 over is too much) By the time you hear the alarm, reach down and press the buttom to turn on your jammer, its probably too late. :cry:

J/

Cheetah Rep

yep.

also, fdsjr,
    the jammer would already be on, so you wouldn't need to press anything, you would only need to do something if it didn't have a timer, or you wanted to turn it off. the rest is "automatic".
    I get a laser reading and I press the button to jam it.....
    not to mention by the time you reacted, it would be way too late as well.

Lead Foot

fdsjr is a newbie, I don't believe he understands the world of jammers yet.

I believe his question was what does the officer see / do when the counter measure jams his gun, which I believe we have answered that.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by g_jammer
    Visit the GuysofLidar website ( www.guysoflidar.com ) and check out the GOL 2007 test results. They've done an excellent job of showing what (if any) error codes each of the tested guns displayed, this will answer your question. But in general, a gun will display a error code or jam code but no speed.

Also, check out the video's posted to see how some of the guns react to various jammers.

What do Leo's do?

That depends on where you live, how illegal jammers are & what mood the Leo is in. You may be ignored, or you may be stopped & hassled even if jammers are not outlawed in that state.

This is why you should avoid JTG, adjust your speed and turn off the jammer regardless, this is the smartest approach.
    Tthat is the best response... Most officers will assume the device is faltering...SEASONED OFFICERS MAY KNOW ABOUT THE DEVICES AND ARE MORE PRONE TO STOP YOU...Rely on good judgement...these devices are not a free ticket but will most often save your butt in most cases...Whatever you do keep a cool head and demeanor...They can still stop you for speeding if they view the "flyby" so drop your speed cowboy and play safe...ELVIS

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by g_jammer

What do Leo's do?

Tthat is the best response... Most officers will assume the device is faltering...SEASONED OFFICERS MAY KNOW ABOUT THE DEVICES AND ARE MORE PRONE TO STOP YOU...Rely on good judgement...these devices are not a free ticket but will most often save your butt in most cases...Whatever you do keep a cool head and demeanor...They can still stop you for speeding if they view the "flyby" so drop your speed cowboy and play safe...ELVIS
    Thats why I jam for a few seconds, drop my speed in a reasonably quick, but not obvious way, shut off my jammer, let him get his reading and be on my merry way. The type of car and range he is targeting you from makes a difference too. If he's targeting you from day <500ft and you JTG he's probabaly going to be suspicious.

Newcomer

So, it wouldn't make sense to install a laser jammer in a vehicle if that state forbids them right!? I'm from MN where it is illegal. I've been tossing the idea around about installing one, hidden of course VERY well.

I was thinking about creating some type of circuitry to turn the jammer off after an initial 5 second blast. With this same circuit, I could have my cruise control hooked up as well so that when it jams the cruis control turns off. BUT if they can see right past that it would be all for not. Any opinions?.

I was thinking about creating some type of circuitry to turn the jammer off after an initial 5 second blast.
    If the Leo shoots at close range , even a 4 seconds delay is too long.

On most jammer you can select the duration mode 4sec / 8sec /all time : personnally I choose the ''all the time'' but close the whole system with a practical , fast reached kill switch (supplied in the kit ).

Of course , whatever the mode chosen , it is safer to minimise jtg and frustration on the Leo

:wink: :wink: