Experienced

Default Popularity Of Laser Jammers

I wonder as laser jammers get increasingly popular, will this effect laws placed on jamming? I mean of course we are "jamming" and interfering with police work so I mean i'm wondering and affraid this will take effect before I can myself purchase a jammer. I want to buy one and then make sure I switch it off like everyone else should do after reacing the PSL, but i'm sure sometimes JTG would be very fun 8)

Old Timer

Default Re: Popularity Of Laser Jammers

Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005
    I wonder as laser jammers get increasingly popular, will this effect laws placed on jamming? I mean of course we are "jamming" and interfering with police work so I mean i'm wondering and affraid this will take effect before I can myself purchase a jammer. I want to buy one and then make sure I switch it off like everyone else should do after reacing the PSL, but i'm sure sometimes JTG would be very fun 8)
    I'd say that this scenario isn't unlikely.

However, also, one has to keep in mind that what may seem "popular" here, in this very specialized hobby community, is not necessarily so when applied to the larger population. Even among "automotive-enthusiasts," spending the money for good jammers isn't something that the majority is willing to do. A recent group-buy of the LPP organized by a respected member of our BL/BP-Chassis Subaru Legacy enthusiast community literallyl fell on its face - with no-one willing to shell-out that amount of money.

Look around at your local automotive scene - exactly how many are equipped with the top-tier radar-detectors? how many jammers do you see?

Yes, I think that as time passes and as jammers get more popular, there will be laws enacted to counteract their use. However, exactly when will such laws come about? that's the wildcard question.

Lead Foot

It's really a wait and see situation-

Worst Case Scenario: Some dumb but popular movie (Like a Fast and Furious 4) is going to have a scene or extended mention of a jammer and portray it as infallible.

Lawmakers and police will be up in arms, some half A$$ed company will make a crappy Blinder knockoff and then every Civic with a huge spoiler and loud exhaust will have one ghetto-rigged onto the front bumper. Each state will make them illegal and then we're all pretty screwed.

But that's like worst case, boys!
    Everyone just needs to do their part, in my opinion----

--Be smart about jamming; you should know by now what jamming length will piss off an officer / start unnecessary trouble.
    --It's okay to tell friends and family about it, you spent a lot of money on it and it allows you to drive like a free man (or close enough to it). Be smart and reasonable, don't portray yourself as infallible
    --If you can help it, don't brag to the cops about it. The more that they believe our equipment is useless and they stay in the dark, the better off we are. I'm not saying don't ever tell an office about it, just use your best judgment
    --It sounds like a good idea, but don't put it on Wikipedia (or the equivalent). If someone made an article, it could very easily find its way onto digg/reddit/some semi-national newspaper and then we're in 'politicians up in arms' mode

I think that's about it-- I'm still young, so my generation (Y) will really see where it goes. If we're all smart about it, we should be okay (knock on wood!)

Experienced

Great opinions! Keep em' comin

Speedtrap Crasher

TSi is right. This concept of laser jammers is pretty fringe. Most people don't know the difference between laser and radar anyway.

Of course jammers work so intermittently and are unreliable as he!! I don't see why any LEO would care if a car had one or not :wink:
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

It's just a matter of time :cry: Hopefully quite a long time

Good Citizen

I personally almost never see jammers on other cars. Until 2 weeks ago I had never seen another car with a jammer except for when I was at a jammer testing event.

Last week I saw a construction company's silver F-250 with a ZR-3 rear head on the rear plate (fat chance of jamming anything) and a Toyota Celica with a ZR-3 on the rear plate as well. The Celica's rear head wasn't properly adjusted and was pointing about 25° up.

Those are the only two cars I've ever seen outside of a testing event with jammers installed, and I've been looking for several years.

Experienced

Too xpensive for the everyday speeder to afford. Not to mention most people still don't even bother to wonder how their speed was measured, all they say is "dam he got me."

you have to be a pretty hardcore to get a jammer. But if you think about it, lets say you spend $1000 for your RD + jammer. If it saves you from JUST 1 speeding ticket, between the fine and ins hike it will pay for itself.

Experienced

For lots of reasons I'm glad everyone doesn't have them and can't afford em also. What if jammers were available at every truck stop, Target, and KMart? Some things would change quite quickly.