Thread: LASER question

Newcomer

Default LASER question

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this it the right forum for this question but here it goes

On a 1998 C5 Vette with out a front licence plate, can LASER get a speed measurement?

Thanks
    Bob

Yoda of Radar

Yes but on a very short distance only.

Newcomer

How short are we talking?

Yoda of Radar

few hundred feet as opposed to say 1500-2000 on a "normal" car.

Lead Foot

Your speed can still be acquired. The distance will vary with the particular laser gun used, the color of the car, and the particular lighting in use on the car at the time. If you have unprotected foglights, they will make getting a speed reading easier. If your headlights are up at night or in the rain, it will be much easier to get a speed reading. The darker your vehicle the harder it will be to get a speed reading. Black is best color, and white/metallic silver are the worst. Some laser guns are also much better at overcoming non-reflective targets. The LTI and Stalker laser guns in particular are quite lethal to almost any car even without a front license plate when under 1000ft.

You could also use Veil on the foglights and headlights just in case they are exposed when you are targeted. If you want, you can cover your foglights like I do until you need them. You can consider adding a bra but realize that it will require meticulous maintenance to avoid damaging the paint underneath as dust under it can cause a sandpaper effect while driving and trapped moisture can mess up the paint or cause rusting. If laser is heavily used in your area get a laser jammer like a Blinder or Lidatek as they will pay for themselves much quicker.

Good Citizen

Well, since thats what I drive, I think I will answer this one. Estimate approx 300ft acquisition range. if they engage you over that, and your detectors pick it up, pop the brakes fast. If you are at least 300 out you should have a couple of seconds to drop to the limit. And by a couple i mean between 2 and 6. what color is it?

Newcomer

Color is "TOREADOR RED METALLIC EXTERIOR", it is closer to a burgandy.

I live in Washington, I am leaving the front plate off untill they tell me to put it on. Then I plan on using VEIL on it. So I should also VEIL my foglamps? What about the DRL's?

I also have a BEL Pro RX75 Plus I will be installing, I am trying to figure out where to mount the front LASAR jammers and if I really need them.
    (I am also trying to find the ideal spot to mount the remote RADAR unit.)

Good Citizen

DRLs arent as bad as the fogs. Look at this pic to get an idea for what reflects laser on your car.
    NO, THE LIGHTS ARE NOT ON. THIS IS 100% REFLECTED LIGHT FROM THE CAMERA.
    My advise is to Veil the DRLs if you can afford it, and then black electrical tape over the fogs. (i removed mine altogether.)
    Andrew

Newcomer

Thanks Andrew!!

I need to keep the fogs, I live in Puget Sound, and the fog can get so bad here, you can't see the windshield wipers.

Any ideas on where to mount the BEL RX75 parts?

Can they really clock you with LASER off the DRL's when they are on?

Bob