Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default I think we are going about jammers the wrong way!

First off i think we can all admit that the average user of this forum is crazy about JTG performance. What i want to see if a more realistic test. I mean highway speed (that where most laser is). I want to see one LI one somethign like a SUV or white car.

Here is my propossed testing idea. You get someone on the side of the highway and you have them shoot every cars speed. The idea is they don't know who has the jammer. So they only have a limited time to react to the jammer once they know it is there. This is very different from the way we test. I think we will find that by the time that the person shooting knows that he has got the car with the jammer in his sites he will have very little time to get those well aimed PT shots. We can also see if the driver will have time to slow down. I mean really these tests we do don't show what we need to see. What they do show is what you need for a 100% protective setup, i would much rather see what i could get away with safely. I know i can make any car 100% lidar stealth if I have unlimited money, but i really have no clue how to protected a car with a budget setup. I feel like we need to run this test with an average SUV or a white car and one LI head.

I mean Alex Roy just made it accross the country with an average speed over 90MPH and he only uses an M40 (2 heads in front 2 in back). Clearly money is not an issue for him when it comes to protection (i mean he used a spotter plane for this trip). I think he knows that really that's all you need.

I think it would provide a much better service to this community if we found what was reasonable protection rather then absolute protection. I mean it is great to put these jammers through the guantlet but i would really like to see more realisitc trials. Also i think if we got someone who really know how to use a lidar gun (they can choose which gun as well) it would still be a much harder test then real world. I mean i think we can all agree that the members of GOL know how to get PT better then most LEOs.

Lead Foot

I take your point but I think tesing has evolved for two main reasons.

Firstly to allow direct comparison between jammer products by removing as many of the environmental variables as possible.

Secondly, by testing in an extreme way it pushes the jammers as far as possible such that if they perform at this level, they will perform for the average user in average conditions.

For me, being a scientist by training and a sceptic by birth, I want to see a scientific slant on testing as it produces the most uniform and repeatable results.

As for other testing regimens, there is no problem there. If you want to test different scenarios then go for your life! The more testing, the better the overall picture we all will have.

Experienced

Default Re: I think we are going about jammers the wrong way!

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    I mean Alex Roy just made it accross the country with an average speed over 90MPH and he only uses an M40 (2 heads in front 2 in back). Clearly money is not an issue for him when it comes to protection (i mean he used a spotter plane for this trip). I think he knows that really that's all you need.
    He also has a CB and a scout plane..

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by repeter
    He also has a CB and a scout plane..
    Yeah i know about the plane i mentioned it in my earlier post. And he has a whole lot more then just a CB in the the car. And that's my point if he really thought it would be any help he would have had ten LPP on the front of his car, but he doesn't because he feels that the M20 is enough. I feel like a driver of his level knows his stuff and if he feels protectd with an M20 then there is prob a good reason.

I don't have a lidar gun yet (should have one by Xmas), but when i do i will try to have tests like this. I just feel like a baseline needs to be established in general about how these jammers interact in real situations. I am not saying that the form of testing being done now is not very helpful. In fact i think it's great. I think it's the reason jammes are only getting better. We just keep raising the bar. What i am saying if i would like to see how an average performing setup does on the real road.

All i am saying is i feel that i have no way of linking decent performance with real world driving. Yeah sure if it's JTG i know i'm fine but not everthng is.

Charles i entirely hear you about the varying conditions. I myslef am an engineering major and also kow the importance of controls in testing. But i think that it is the unpredictablity of the enviroment that leads to issues that have yet to be dealt with in the jammer community.

Such as other car blocking your jammer's line of sight
    The person who is shooting laser doesn't know you have a jammer
    Or even targeting at very close range (although JFG test do help with this)

Also i am not proposing that we test different jammers but rather that we test this in general. In fact i only mentioned one jammer and one setup. I think this test would help draw a relationship to road performance vs. the standard testing. Like yeah i sure a M20 gets punch through at say a 500ft on a black car but what if a LEO doesn't shoot him until he is 300ft away. Will he still jam for long enough to slow down to PSL.

At the very least i feel like this form of testing puts the impression in everyones mind that JTG performance is needed. However most of us know that that is far from the truth.

I just can't wait to get my own lidar gun so i can try some of these things.

Honestly in a real world situation
    A LEO will move to the next vehicle he wont waist time on your car after doing a visual. Lets face it when you here the buzzer go off do you speed up??? NO i hope not.
    Any way the whole point of the JTG mind set is the confidence that a

1 your vehicle is fully protected.

2 you have the ability to jam a gun at any distance.

I had no problem popping cars at the 250 to 300 foot mark to issue a ticket.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNhyePyciM first section is 300 feet
    a LPP set in 4 second mode you pass the LEO before the auto shut down!!

The reason i am planning on going LI is because if your going to spend that kinda money why not spend a tad more and get the best.. Besides I have read lots of test about random 1k punch throughs.. I cant imagine how pissed I would be if I decided to save 200 bucks and get a random PT at 1k...

Banned

What i want to see if a more realistic test. I mean highway speed (that where most laser is).
    Around the city where I live most Laser traps are under 500 feet with the LA and UL LRB.

So it has to be JTG or nothing for me.

JTG is realistic. Anything less is unacceptable. if it can JTG then you know you will be safe in any encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCMUSA
    Thats how popo gets down where I live. They shoot from very close range.

Lead Foot

Like I said earlier, there is no harm in testing "real world" situations but you must be careful as the "jammer" world is full of paranoia and accusation.

There have been instances of foul play when certain jammers have been deliberately shown in a bad light by a competitor pretending to be just a hobbyist such as ourselves.

I think that is also a reason why GOL chose the more scientific testing scenarion in which each jammer was tested as "purely" as possible. There are so many variables that could come into play that by distilling the testing down into a pure form, a simple comparison can be made.

IMHO I would like to see the same style of testing done by GOL but with the addition of overpass shots a,d runs targetting rear placement. Both these scenarios are important here in the UK.

I also think that one should be aware that it would be easy to "juice" a test unit to perform well in a GOL straight line test, but which would be less than capable in a more real world situation with rapidly changing beam angles etc.

Personally I have tested both my LPP and my LI using my PLII in situations similar to what you propose. I always test on a public road with other vehicle around. This allows me to change targets over and over so I know the jammer will re-jam after a short period. This gives a good idea of what each jammer is and isnt capable of. For instance my dual LPP was very susceptible to 1000ft off centre PT on my vehicle. But does that mean all vehicles will be the same? No I'm sure they wouldnt. When we enter "real world" testing scenarios we also have to remember that vehicle type plays a huge part in PT and we cannot test every car!

That is why my advice to anyone intsalling a jammer is test it yourself, dont rely on a lab type test to ensure that yours will cut the mustard.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by noorudeenshakur
    What i want to see if a more realistic test. I mean highway speed (that where most laser is).
    Around the city where I live most Laser traps are under 500 feet with the LA and UL LRB.

So it has to be JTG or nothing for me.

JTG is realistic. Anything less is unacceptable. if it can JTG then you know you will be safe in any encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCMUSA
    Thats how popo gets down where I live. They shoot from very close range.
    A two head unit on your car will give you the JTG performance you are desiring against anything they can hit you with in Canada. I wish there were GOL members in my area or someone with a LA so I could show you. The only way for PT on my ride is to be WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY off center from the road. I was able to get PT with the Ultralyte 50ft from my car but I was 15-20 ft off center and at a lower or higher elevation. And this only occured aiming at the outermost reflector portion of my headlight. Hardly what I would call a real world scenario. Go ahead and get the LI. You have nothing to worry about.

Banned

yeah dude I really enjoyed your videos. They were well done and honest.

Nice work. I really hope to see some LA videos before long. My dual LPP does super well against the ultralyte. JTG on it for me, and it does well on the LA2. I did accidentally JTG a LEO when I couldnt turn off the switch a few months ago with a LA2. I cant complain I love my setup but I need the best.

Thats just the way I am.

I appreciate that you would have run some LA tests for me man. I know someone will run them before long so no worries.

I think they want to avoid this gun because it scares people away from buying a jammer when they see instant JA3 jam code appear on that gun.

I hate that gun