Default AL Rear Mounting Level? Slighly up, level or slightly down?

When I first read about mounting the Al G8 in the rear, I could have sworn a well informed member said, "slightly up" but also read "level" as well as "slightly down". I have mine slightly up! Which is it?

Old Timer

Default Re: AL Rear Mounting Level? Slighly up, level or slightly do

Quote Originally Posted by C55
    When I first read about mounting the Al G8 in the rear, I could have sworn a well informed member said, "slightly up" but also read "level" as well as "slightly down". I have mine slightly up! Which is it?
    "Slightly down" is definitely not right....unless the rear of the car is in a significantly elevated position (much more than, say, even a positive rake stance induced by significant suspension modifictions) - or the enforcement scenario of a low (start) to high (finish) elevation on-ramp (i.e. the on-ramp traffic would effectively be merging "from below," as if from a tunnel), this is going to significantly decrease the instrument's field-of-view. This kind of scenario would truly be rather hard to come upon, and would present such a small percentage of the potential threat ratio that unless you know you will specifically face this kind of threat on your daily (or otherwise routine) drive, I'd say that the cost-benefit ratio is NOT in favor of this kind of mounting.

"Slightly up" can help with overpass enforcement scenarios as well as with the more typical on-ramp encounter, where the threat itself is more elevated than, typically, the vehicle (i.e. the ramp starts "high," and finishes "low" as it merges with the main thoroughfare). However, even this is somewhat of a trade-off, as honestly, "zero-bubble," or "level"/parallel-with-roadway will still typically offer you the best chances of having, overall, the best protection under the vast majority of roadway conditions. You should consider this compromise as you figure out exactly if this trade-off is acceptable for you.

Advanced Member

Default Re: AL Rear Mounting Level? Slighly up, level or slightly do

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by C55
    "Slightly down" is definitely not right....unless the rear of the car is in a significantly elevated position (much more than, say, even a positive rake stance induced by significant suspension modifictions) - or the enforcement scenario of a low (start) to high (finish) elevation on-ramp (i.e. the on-ramp traffic would effectively be merging "from below," as if from a tunnel), this is going to significantly decrease the instrument's field-of-view. This kind of scenario would truly be rather hard to come upon, and would present such a small percentage of the potential threat ratio that unless you know you will specifically face this kind of threat on your daily (or otherwise routine) drive, I'd say that the cost-benefit ratio is NOT in favor of this kind of mounting.

"Slightly up" can help with overpass enforcement scenarios as well as with the more typical on-ramp encounter, where the threat itself is more elevated than, typically, the vehicle (i.e. the ramp starts "high," and finishes "low" as it merges with the main thoroughfare). However, even this is somewhat of a trade-off, as honestly, "zero-bubble," or "level"/parallel-with-roadway will still typically offer you the best chances of having, overall, the best protection under the vast majority of roadway conditions. You should consider this compromise as you figure out exactly if this trade-off is acceptable for you.
    +1. Level with the roadway is best.

Experienced

Everyone says level with the road... but i disagree... when i had my rear AL installed level with the road.... i got some bad PT's... I contacted AL about this. After seeing my install pics, they told me to angle it slightly up, not more than 5 degrees. As soon as i made this minor adjustment, all was sorted

Here is a pic of my previously owned car...

Professional

I would try to get it as level as possible. However, Slightly up (and i say ever so slightly) would be a good option with overpasses.

Banned

X2 for Level, unless you know they shoot from elevated positions at CLOSE ranges from the rear then I would go with a slight positive bubble.

The beam divergence on the AL is very wide, the exact same as a LI actually and level will give you great protection from 100 feet out. Just make sure to cover your center mast license plate area because thats where LEO's aim 90% of the time anyways first.