Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Professional

My experience is on i75 between Valdosta and Macon Georgia. More specifically around exit's 97-105. This is where the rear lidar shots are occurring for me. Just a heads up for all the Georgia boys on the forum

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    I'm currently decently satisfied with the performance of the factory halogen-incandescents on my BL/BP-chassis Subaru Legacy, which utilizes a projector low-beam and reflector high, with the only upgrade being a set of Osram Rallye +65W bulbs for the low beams (factory is 55W, H7 fitment) and a set of HIR1s for the high-beams.

The OEM projector fogs (rewired to act independently of the headlights, for which I've also disabled the DRL function) on my car are relatively "worthless," but with careful re-aiming, they now actually serve decently well in terms of both foreground lighting as well as foul-weather lighting. They're equipped with Narva Golds (since these are no longer available, I'm now somewhat split as to what I should do once they burn out - due to new research that's come out, it seems that there may not be as much of a benefit to selective-yellow foul-weather lighting as we all first thought and were "taught" through "automotive lore," so I don't really know if I want to continue with the selective-yellow in this particular function). Turn-signals are Sylvania SilverStars, to better complement the aesthetics of this area of the vehicle. I'm still undecided as to whether if I want to supplement forward lighting with either aftermarket fogs or driving lamps.

To go back to aesthetic mods and expand on that a bit, I "baked and shaked" my front headlamps, and installed a set of white CCFL DDE halos (partial circle) around my low beam projector units. They're wired to come on with the parking lights. The parking-light/turn-signal area has been de-ambered (which is why I'm using the SilverStar bulbs - the fact that they light up amber in-use allows me to escape the worst of the local lighting-code enforcement), and I've re-painted my decorative "streaks" in this area a metallic black to match my factory grill inserts.

Aside from the constant consideration of auxiliary forward lighting (which I may or may not do), I do have solid plans to incorporate a rear foglight to my vehicle (most likely a PIAA DENO3, and I'd likely refinish it to be flat black) at the same time I update my rear jammer setup (dual LI planned - I currently have a single LPP head back there, with the rather worthless rear ZR3 head [which I use as a "hit detector," and to localize the threat, as it is incorporated into my x50]).

My DSM, a '95 TSi with 2Gb Eclipse front-end conversion (for the FMIC), has a set of aftermarket projector housings retrofitted with OEM BMW take-off HID components, including full optics (Euro code). It's supplemented by a set of CATZ XLDs (amber fog, white driving). The turn-signals and side-markers have been cleared and are using SilverStar bulbs. The high-beam is also a set of Sylvania SilverStars.

I've entertained the idea of shaking-and-baking the headlamps on my Legacy yet again (I've had them open 3 or 4 times now), to perform another full-optics HID retrofit, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it, since I am very happy with the performance my current incandescent setup.....

The wifey's WRX is totally and painfully stock. However, she is very happy with their performance, and refuses to let me touch it.

Anna's Fisher Price "TotRod" ride-on sports a set of Pilot driving lamps, running off an auxiliary 12V battery dedicated just to driving those lamps, as well as my old BEL radar detector and a set of LED rear "brake lights." :arrow:

Yes, I'm aware that I've Riced-out my two-year old daughter's ride-on cart. It's a part of a running joke - and besides, Anna loves stickers.

Here's her stroller:

I still don't see how power wheels are street-legal and "pocket rockets" aren't...

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225
    I still don't see how power wheels are street-legal and "pocket rockets" aren't...

No, no - that's by far *NOT* street-legal, not by any means of those words.

It maxes-out at 2 and 1/2 MPH, and in case you hadn't noticed, it's got a thumb-button for the throttle control, which is designed for a toddler who is so young and small that he/she cannot physically reach the "gas pedal" on carts designed for older toddlers/kids.

As JDS and others may remember from threads in The Lounge, one of baby-Anna's favorite shows is PINKS. Fitting that, if you ask her what kind of car she drives, she'll respond with this, which I taught her about 9 months ago, when I bought her this cart:

"Eight-second car!"

I've taught her that she can *never* go in to the neighborhood streets on her cart, because it's an "eight second car," and so modified that it's no longer street-legal.

Old Timer

Haahahaha

Newcomer

OK OK OK . . .

I was reading up on the LI in this post and i found the lighting info fascinating.

I need to know what exactly "baked and shaked" is ?

I have installed a 6000K 35W H4 low beam and 50W H1 high beam HID xenons.

They are the ultimate !

The only problem is that they are totally illegal in my reflector head lights .

I have adjusted them low and in towards the center of the car so it doesn't blind people from behind and on coming traffic.

But you have got me thinking that maybe there is more that can be done

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Stelth
    I need to know what exactly "baked and shaked" is ?
    Most modern headlamp housings utilize a naked bulb, housed within a reflector/optical housing - all protected by an aerodynamic and stylistic "overlens."

Thus, in order to access the necessary optics for major modification and/or to perform various aesthetic modifications of the housing unit itself, it must be "cracked open." The rear of the housing - typically consisting of the housing backing and optics - clamshells apart from the overlying lens.

The usual way to do this is to stick the entire housing, removed from the vehicle, into a large enough home oven, set at relatively low temperatures (usually between 250 to 285 deg. F.), for a brief period of time (usually between 5 to 15 minutes, varying depending on the temperature set as well as the size of the housing, amount/type of glue/sealant used at the factory, etc.) to soften the sealant, and then carefully pried-open for "surgery."

But you have got me thinking that maybe there is more that can be done
    Check into the Forums at HID-Planet - you'll get some really good information there. Since you're expressing an interest in further improving your lighting by further modifying your current setup, I would think that a full-optics retrofit will be the next most logical step for you - and this is where the good people over in that particular hobbyist community could best help guide you.

Best of luck!

Professional

Join hidplanet and read read read. Just a head up if you tell them about the hid kits in a stock reflector housing they will probably crucify you so watch out LOL. I'm in finals week here at my university so i don't have much time to type hopefully you will read about all the negatives with a hid kit.

Newcomer

thanks guys !

I have just joined HID forum.

WOW !!!!

I understand about the reflector thing and i am very very considerate to other motorists so that's why my lights are dipped down very low and do not hurt anyones eyes from behind .

The High beam is a different story tho.

My main motive to go Xenon for the high beams was to get to people that sit and hog the fast lanes while sitting under the speed limit.

People have a bad habits in my country.

You see here in Australia they give licenses away in B'fast corn packets.

So anyone can get a license.

Thanks for your info TSi+WRX & rsatmans 8)

Speed Demon

How about mounting the heads vertically on the sides?