Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LPP Mounting Issues

Ok so unlike I had thought, the LPP bracket does not fit in the grille of my 06 C350. However, I think that just the head with tape directly on the head will fit with absolutely no room to spare. My second issue is weather. I am in MN and I do not have a garage or anywhere warm to work on my car with the tape. As we all know, the tape will not stick well if I apply it when it's 15 degs out. I am drving down to Louisiana next wednesday for Xmas. I know LJ's are illegal in MN, but even when I get to Iowa its obviously not going to be much if any warmer. Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion about the tape directly on the head and mounting on this kind of grille? Also, how recessed can the head be? If I absolutely must use the bracket, I can but the head would have absoluely no peripheral use, only head on. I'm trying to not spend anymore money on this if possible since I just had to drop $400 on a 'Service B.'

On a second note, if anyone knows of speed trap areas along that route it would be appreciated. I plan on leaving St. Paul at 2pm if that helps.

Old Timer

The heads by themselves with tape should be enough. Just make sure you clean both the head with soapy water, dry, alcohol, dry, and you're good.

As for the cold, do you have a garage you could do this in?

Unfortunately I do not have a garage. I park my car in my school's lot. I was thinking about taking it to the Mall of America lot, but I'm pretty sure that one's not heated.

Banned

http://www.instaoffice.com/Exterior-...11LONG.0.7.htm

This holds like cement. You can get it at home depot for about 7 dollars. I have used it and it holds perfectly even through a Cold Canadian winter

Just make sure your surfaces are properly prepped and cleaned. If you have any concerns about cold, then warm them a bit with a hair dryer then apply the tape, after its stuck its not coming loose even if its snowing outside.

Noory

I'm pretty sure thats what I've got. I bought it from AutoZone though. Its the 3M Automotive Mounting tape.

I have made arrangements, so that I have a garage now. Do I need anything else other than rubbing alcohol to prep the grille? Also, its a tight fit to the point where I have to install the head from the outside in basically slightly bending the grille. Hopefull with the tape there is no way that thing is gonna move.

Banned

Just make sure its level and pointing straight down the road

You may need to shim it to get it to sit level, after that keep an eye on it, it may slowly move out of level if its under constant pressure.

The key is level, and straight....no half assing it. Tight fitting spots with 3m tape are a pain in the a$$ especially when you are freezin.

Exterior Mounting Tape
    Weather-resistant, holds securely to indoor or outdoor surfaces such as stucco and brick. Super strong, holds up to 5 pounds on virtually any surface. Gray tape with red liner.

If those are the specs on the tape then you are good to go. I have never used the automotive tape so I cant tell you for sure how well it works and mounts in the cold.

Good luck

I'm going to be mounting it on Tuesday night, so I'll try and get pics up that night.

As far as the leveling of the head, I planned on building up with tape if I have to underneath. If you know what the grill looks like up close, it's all slanted downward, so it would be wedged in with the front flush with the grill for the most part due to the angle of the grill.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jfriedman8
    I'm going to be mounting it on Tuesday night, so I'll try and get pics up that night.

As far as the leveling of the head, I planned on building up with tape if I have to underneath. If you know what the grill looks like up close, it's all slanted downward, so it would be wedged in with the front flush with the grill for the most part due to the angle of the grill.
    Perfect.

Good luck

Noory

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by noorudeenshakur
    http://www.instaoffice.com/Exterior-Weather-Resistant-Double.MMM4011LONG.0.7.htm
    That's the magical 3M Automotive Trim/Mo(u)lding tape.

Like brother noory said, it'll hold, even under extreme weather conditions.

The only problem is that typically, the initial application and cure conditions must be optimized in order to guaranty its best adhesive power.

Brother ELVATO's recommended procedures is something that you'll want to carefully follow, jfriedman8, and is again reflective of the advice that was given to you here:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...highlight=tape

Unfortunately, that initial bonding/curing temperature is going to be the bogey for you - but if you can manage to trail an extension cord out to your car, you should be able to get the necessary components up-to-temperature (CAREFULLY!) by using a standard hair-dryer.

I was just outside re-mounting one of my LPP heads a couple of days ago (the head had malfunctioned, and I was sent a replacement from LPP-CAN) - because my upper/main grill location is also a tight "press-fit" location, I took a shortcut and did not pre-heat the surfaces, since it's literally so tight that I had to "squeeze" the head in there. We've had a few days now of temperatures below freezing, as well as driving snowstorms. So far, I'm still good-to-go.

I think that as long as you have sufficient pressure exerted from the adjacent grill slats/cuts, you'll be just fine. however, just-in-case, I would also anchor/safety-tether the head by Zip-Tie'ing the wire lead, as close to the head as possible (to minimize "swing") to a surrounding hard-structure. I don't think that the head coming out of its mounted position, outside of the vehicle, would carry sufficient force to damage much of anything - and if it fell "back" inside, provided that you anchored close enough to the body, its heaviest area, I'd also expect it to not cause any true mechanical damage to, say, the radiator (if your vehicle uses a pusher fan, mounted in front of the radiator, though, I'd take extra precautions to insure that the heads, upon such a "swing," cannot enter the fan's area of sweep). You should be visually and audibly alerted to such a "fall-out" scenario as it will almost certainly trigger the parking-warning function, due to the proximity of the exterior bumper skin and/or internal bumper/mechanical structures, reflecting the displaced beam.

Best of luck!
    -Allen

What do you mean by zip tying? Just run the wire through the grill and basically make a knot on the inside of the grill?