Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Default AL G8, head no longer operational...dissapointed...sorted

Hey guys,

I've had my AL G8 for a year now... and the 1 head is faulty already... i received a fine... the parking control does not work and it also does not pick up any laser as well... funny thing is, is that the diode still pulses normally...???

I sent AL an email... and still waiting for a response.... I am very disappointed and upset after spending so much on the unit...

Anyone else experience this...

Old Timer

It seems that this is becoming alarmingly common - both for the AL as well as the LPP (and also for some of the early-release pieces of the latest-generation LI).

There seems to be a rash of recent reports of failure.

Although I don't think we currently have good data-points to function off-of, it does seem that there's some issue for concern with regard to potential water ingress into vital internal components, beyond the epoxy barrier within the metal casings of the heads.

Make sure, first, that there's not a more simple cause to your woes.

Check the RJ connectors and make sure that they are well-crimped and have good contact.

Also, check the head - see if there's a visible breach in the seal at the vicinity of the overlying protective lens/shield at the most forward end ("face out") of the head. If so, carefully remove this lens/shield to clean it (as well as, even more carefully, the diode/receptor "face," buried within the epoxy shield inside this forward portion of the head unit) of any gunk/condensation, and re-seal using RTV silicone.

Have a look around at the threads which follow, even on just this first page. You'll see that there's been a rash of such reports, lately.

Experienced

Default Re: AL G8, head no longer operational....dissapointed

Quote Originally Posted by anjoem
    Hey guys,

I've had my AL G8 for a year now... and the 1 head is faulty already... i received a fine... the parking control does not work and it also does not pick up any laser as well... funny thing is, is that the diode still pulses normally...???

I sent AL an email... and still waiting for a response.... I am very disappointed and upset after spending so much on the unit...

Anyone else experience this...
    TSI+WRX is correct. I've found that the biggest problem is that the "plastic outer cover" of the sensor is not sealed well enough to keep water out. Look at the heads with an infrared video camera. If you see water on the inside of the plastic lens, I'd say that this is your problem. Three of five of my heads have leaked. I'm not going to comment on the quality of the silicone but I'm guessing it isn't the highest grade.

If there is moisture in the heads (I'll bet there is) dry the heads out and Re-seal them with some good quality clear silicone. You can even put a bead on the outside and smooth it down to make sure that you are 100% waterproof

Experienced

I checked all cables.... what doesn't make sense is that if i look through my mobile camera phone, it pulses 6 times then misses 1 and continues for another 6 and so on....

The other head pulses all the time...

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by anjoem
    I checked all cables.... what doesn't make sense is that if i look through my mobile camera phone, it pulses 6 times then misses 1 and continues for another 6 and so on....

The other head pulses all the time...
    Wasn't that indicative of the "time bomb" the AL had?

Old Timer

^ Very interesting.....excellent recall, brother ELVATO !

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...r=asc&start=30

RacerX's videos are in the second to last post in that thread.

It seemed that the 6 on -pause 6 - 6 on pattern was supposed to be for the "normal," functional heads. Unless I'm looking at this all wrong, he's saying that the parking-sensor blips appear erratic when they're malfunctioning (after the 1:00 time-stamp mark, on the "ALBAD" night-time video).

:?:

Experienced

I have the 6, 1, 6 combination... but my parking feature does not work....

will AL replace my bad head?

Lead Foot

How long ago did you all get your systems? I had to have a head replaced through warranty, now both of the ones I have are the newer aluminum-cased heads. Wonder if that makes a difference...

My LPP has Alloy heads and is working fine after 14 months or there abouts

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by specialchicken
    My LPP has Alloy heads and is working fine after 14 months or there abouts
    I have heard there is a big difference between AL and LPP....