Since I'm in the process of dumping untold amounts of money into my summer car's engine, I figure it's due time to get a LI or LPP installed to complement the stealth STI that I've been using for the last two years.
Here's my dilemma: I am a huge stickler for clean, OEM installations. Take my STI kill switch, for example. I went out and bought another in-dash Audi front/rear fog light switch, gutted it, and amalgamated its internals with a SmartCord. The stupid Audi switch alone cost $60 (as opposed to a $1 switch from RadioShack). I don't think I could sleep at night knowing there was a RadioShack part in my dashboard. So yeah, I guess you could call me anal.
A lot of the jammer installs I've seen on this board (where the heads are flush-mounted with bumper fascias) would be aesthetically unacceptable to me. I want them completely hidden, so much so, that it would take even one of us a second glance to find the jammer.
Super clean, super-OEM is a must. And it has the secondary benefit of being invisible to prying eyes — I live in a a province where RDs are a big no-no.
I really like this controversial-but-Ivan-approved LI install on a B7 Audi A4. And the slightly-recessed single head install on this Mini Cooper is nice too.
Here's the front of my car:
And questions for the experts:
(1) Would a single LI head be adequate, especially if I'm not running a front license plate? If the head is placed at #2, it would be immediately below the front plate when installed. What about the higher #1 position in the emblem?
(2) Would it be better for a dual head setup to be closer to the center (#3) or more outboard towards the lights (#4)? In both cases, the heads will be flush mounted to the black mesh on the lower grilles, which are about 2-3 cm to the rear of the front bumper fascia.
I don't know why I'm considering a single head. Cost? Not really an issue. It's probably because there's less cutting involved.
In reality, I'm not looking for test-condition jam-to-gun performance as many of you do in your tests. Similar to the controversial B7 A4 setup, I just want something that works in real-world situations where a cop will never be blasting me from less than 25 m.
(3) Are dual front heads still necessary to achieve this?
Ideally, I'd like to get a LI with two heads, and put one on the back as well. Which leads me to my next problem:
(4) Where the hell to put it?
The rubstrip installation of this E39 BMW M5 is very slick, and I would be doing the same in a heartbeat had I black rubstrips back there.
(5) Is my only option the license plate frame?
The plastic license plate mounting base is about 1 cm thick. Flush mounting even a slim LI head would probably mean cutting into the metal of the trunk lid, which is something I'd rather avoid.
(6) Have there been any other creative ways to mount rear heads?
(7) Or maybe I should just forget about the rear for now?
Thanks for the advice (and for reading this far!).