Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default What about reliability???

So everyone has been talking about diode jammers on here for the past few years. The discussion is always that they are better but i have to say that i am not convinced. I have heard of so many problems with all of the companies and I also worry about the safety of such lasers especially when testing them for a whole day. I don't really know how reliable blinder was or is but it just seems that these "new" jammers just aren't that durable. It is very hard to make a product that can handle road debris and extreme weather but for 500 bucks i expect a lot more then i am seeing. It seems that most people who got the first versions of these jammers had problems within the first 6 months. I still have my LPP out for repair and since i bought it from europe it has been a mess getting things straightened out. I have been without working jammers for about half the time i have had them (a little over a year). Even if a jammer like blinder is only half as effective it is better then not having anything for half the time. Despite what test and people on this forum say the "old school" jammers seem to do a fine job. Alex Roy still uses a M20 and one lidetek head. He has clearly had no problems.

To those members of this forum who insist that their local LEOs shot at <500 ft and that JTG results are necessary, i don't know what to say to persuade you otherwise. We test jammers under far more difficult standards then they ever see in the streets. Even if a LEO does target you from <500 ft chances are that he is aiming center mass rather then HL and that you would have enough time to slow down. I entirely agree that there are those shots where you would get punch through, ***** happens!

I do feel, however, that the reliable names in this industry (and by reliable i mean slightly more reliable then others) step up to challenge of making a more effective jammer. I was terrible disappointed with the new release of the Blinder and and even further disappointed that other companies like Lidetek have not yet pushed forward a competitive jammer.

These are just what is going through my head thought I would share. This is not meant to start a battle it is just my observations of the jammer industry. As always i would appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Thanks

Old Timer

My LPP, ghetto install and all, is still kickin' strong. It's about year old.

The few times I have been shot sub >500 feet, it seems it has always been center. Even without front plates here in FL, the LEO I talked to says he still shoots CM.

Old Timer

carter840 -

I see what you're saying, but honestly, I do not think, necessarily, that the LED-based jammers are any more durable/reliable, per-se.

Don't forget that the earlier ZR3s had water-ingress problems.

And unless those posts have been retroactively deleted, you'll find *plenty* of malfunction complaints about the Blinder (granted, they and their resellers have typically done an excellent job of resolving such issues - but this also bears true of today's leading diode-based jammer manufacturers and resellers). Also, don't forget that Blinders also went through an evolutionary improvement in terms of jamming effectiveness.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    carter840 -

I see what you're saying, but honestly, I do not think, necessarily, that the LED-based jammers are any more durable/reliable, per-se.

Don't forget that the earlier ZR3s had water-ingress problems.

And unless those posts have been retroactively deleted, you'll find *plenty* of malfunction complaints about the Blinder (granted, they and their resellers have typically done an excellent job of resolving such issues - but this also bears true of today's leading diode-based jammer manufacturers and resellers). Also, don't forget that Blinders also went through an evolutionary improvement in terms of jamming effectiveness.

Yes I suppose that my current issues with LPP are what caused me to make this post. I know they have good USA CS but i got my jammers from the UK and have had an impossible time getting them sent back repaired.

Good Citizen

I've got to say that while the ZR-3 is very old, it's very reliable. Mine was installed in the summer of 2001. It's been on for 6 full years and is still going strong.

Last year one of the front heads finally developed a problem, but with the rear head moved up front I'm in just as good of shape as I was before.

Yoda of Radar

That is obviously a major concer of all of us.....I had an AL7 time bomb and it broke at the 6 month mark....never got to try it....

Old Timer

Don't forget that individual variance can also be a big factor, too.

My ZR3s should've been fine, as they were purchased in 2003, but I still saw the water-ingress issue.

---

Also, remember that we are an enthusiast/hobbyist Forum. More people come here to find out about a problem, as well as to voice their concern/seek resolution here, than anywhere else. So in terms of our Forum statistics, they are themselves biased.

I'll use two examples of which I'm personally familiar with. Log-on to a DSM enthusiast community, and you'd swear that all second-generation DSMs are going to crankwalk. Similarly, log-on to a BL/BP chassis Subaru Legacy community, and you'd likely think that every MY05 "studders/stutters" or have stinking clutches. Both of these generalizations are far from true.

Finally, a lot of us here, by the nature of our involvement in this community, are by definition "beta testers" in one way or another, and this alone will carry with it a burden, as manufacturers try to iron-out the issues that long-term road-usage may truly see.

---

Again, not making excuses for anyone or taking anyone's side. Just wanted to point out some factors.

Professional

x2

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer84_03
    x2
    :?:

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    Also, remember that we are an enthusiast/hobbyist Forum. More people come here to find out about a problem, as well as to voice their concern/seek resolution here, than anywhere else. So in terms of our Forum statistics, they are themselves biased.

I'll use two examples of which I'm personally familiar with. Log-on to a DSM enthusiast community, and you'd swear that all second-generation DSMs are going to crankwalk. Similarly, log-on to a BL/BP chassis Subaru Legacy community, and you'd likely think that every MY05 "studders/stutters" or have stinking clutches. Both of these generalizations are far from true.

Finally, a lot of us here, by the nature of our involvement in this community, are by definition "beta testers" in one way or another, and this alone will carry with it a burden, as manufacturers try to iron-out the issues that long-term road-usage may truly see.

---

Again, not making excuses for anyone or taking anyone's side. Just wanted to point out some factors.
    i was x2'ing that... didnt quote. my bad. you get to hear alot stuff on forums. it seems as though sometimes the bad casts the bigger shadow on a great product.