Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power User

Default 3M Mounting tape

I know many people use the 3M molding mounting tape with good results. I was curious for the people using it how are your results? After a few months and possible a few years?

Another Q, what are your opinions if I used it to mount a head by putting the tape on the top of the head then stick to the under side of say a bumper, would gravity eventually pull it down?

Power User

it holds pretty good, I can hardly take it off.

Power User

3m makes a great solid product, even the thin quick release strips bond like epoxy.

Assuming that you are talking about 3M's VHB mounting tape, their site says that it actually adheres better after being initially applied if it is under a load (has weight attached to it). So far the VHB stuff has held up perfectly well since last summer in my car. Both of my above-mirror mounted VHB-held RD brackets are still just as securely held in place as the day I installed them. The VHB stuff is amazing.

Power User

this is what I used,
    http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
    it sucks that most auto stores sell the thin strip

Street Lawyer

had mine on the s-10 for at least a year and a half, had mine on the bonne for 6 months, frequent car washes, no problem

Old Timer

I've been using the one they at auto store (3M molding tape, white tape with red backing) for over a year. I have it over the head, attaching the head the underside of my bumper. First couple of tries, water would get in there, and the head would hang. Granted, I never did clean the area very well. After the 3rd try, it's been on ever since (guess following directions and cleaning the area well works. Who would have thought ops: )

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    I've been using the one they at auto store (3M molding tape, white tape with red backing) for over a year. I have it over the head, attaching the head the underside of my bumper. First couple of tries, water would get in there, and the head would hang. Granted, I never did clean the area very well. After the 3rd try, it's been on ever since (guess following directions and cleaning the area well works. Who would have thought ops: )
    That what I was worried about the under side of the bumper. What did you use to clean the surface? I was thinking rubbing alcohol.

Old Timer

Yea, that should work. Clean both the bumper and the head, and make you it's completely dry. Peel one side, and stick it on the side. Press it on firmly, and run your finger over it (as if you were taking out air bubbles.) Peel the red backing, and stick it on the bumper. Press it on firmly.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't starting to sag/peel, especially after some rain. If it is, try it again. You might even have to try another roll (I've bought 2 separate rolls, and it sometimes seems one is more "sticky" than the other.)

I'll try to post a pic of how mine looks right now.

Here's some pix I just took right now:

Notice how the tape "stretches" but it's still holding on.

Front view

The other side. It's "stretching" because the surface they are sticking on is no parallel with the ground.

Every so often, I push up on the head just for good measure. Hope this helps.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    Yea, that should work. Clean both the bumper and the head, and make you it's completely dry. Peel one side, and stick it on the side. Press it on firmly, and run your finger over it (as if you were taking out air bubbles.) Peel the red backing, and stick it on the bumper. Press it on firmly.

Just keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't starting to sag/peel, especially after some rain. If it is, try it again. You might even have to try another roll (I've bought 2 separate rolls, and it sometimes seems one is more "sticky" than the other.)

I'll try to post a pic of how mine looks right now.

Here's some pix I just took right now:

Notice how the tape "stretches" but it's still holding on.

Front view

The other side. It's "stretching" because the surface they are sticking on is no parallel with the ground.

Every so often, I push up on the head just for good measure. Hope this helps.
    You only have one head with a 2003 Ford Expedition 4.6 V8? Can you take a front end pic I would like to see where the head is. How can one head protect a big truck like that?