Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Longsnowsm

Default Laser distances for legal use by state?

In the SML 2005 tests there was a blanket statement that LEO's cannot target your vehicle over 1000ft. My last laser encounter was approximately 1384ft(I went back and guesstimated the location of my V1 alarm and then calculated the distance at speed).

So my question is this: Does anyone know where this info is posted regarding legal use of laser(distances allowed to be used by LEO's)? Is this a by state thing? If it is by state does anyone have a suggestion where to begin searching for this info?

Many times I have been targeted at distances over 1000ft. The SML tests seemed to limit all the jammer tests to 1000ft. I don't think this sounds realistic considering my own experiences. Either my local and state LEO's are violating the law or this varies by state. Thoughts?

Drive safe, have fun,
    Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

Well I have been searching for anything that states there is the 1000ft limit on laser use. So far nothing has really come up. Is this yet another one of those "universal myths" based on a portion of truth in a sited case in a specific location? I am starting to think so. So far I have found nothing like this for the state I live in. This is just starting to sound like one of those repeated things that just isn't true... I am about ready to chaulk this one up with others commonly repeated falsehoods like, "LEO's don't shoot radar from behind", "LEO's don't use laser from behind", "Laser detection is useless", "Long distance radar detection capability is useless"... Just to name a few that come to mind that I hear repeated here and elsewhere.

Maybe we need to re-evaluate this accepted truth on the 1000ft thing and expect more from the testing results we are getting? Also when a testing organization makes claims like this 1000ft thing it would be nice to have links and references to back it up. Maybe it is true, but I sure haven't had any luck finding it.

Drive safe, have fun,
    Longsnowsm

Speed Demon

I know one thing that is a law that Leos are not allowed to hide when they shoot radar BUT they do it all the time. I will tell you a funny story .At my Pops old body shop were he was the manger there was a Leo that use to sit beside the Body Shop sign to shoot radar. The Leo was righting tickets left and right and my dad started to lose business because of the Leo( couple of days he did this ). Finally my Pop gets pissed off about him shooting radar there and goes up tells him to leave ( im pretty sure that he didnít say it that nice). Later that day they come back and slap him with some Fines I for get all of them but one was having a sign that was that big that close to the road. With all the fines it totaled up to $1200 and he lost his bonus paying it to the Leos Now isnít that a *****.

Good Citizen

Check out this site: http://www.nj-traffic-ticket.com/speeding.html

The case of State v Abeskaron (NJ) is where Judge Stanton had a problem with the LTI 20/20 Marksman Laser unit because when the case was heard, the experts from LTI would not give up certain information on the error trappings of their unit for fear of others gaining access to this priviledged information. He has since changed his mind after further information was presented to him on later appeals and now says the LTI 20/20 Marksman is OK to use with certain exceptions. One of those being any distance over 1000' may need to have expert testimony in individual cases. This case was appealed to the NJ Supreme Court but they did not hear it after they reveiwed it and found Judge Stanton did a good job in his decision in the Superior Court. This is strickly a NJ case and no other state is bound by that decision. However, if brought up in another court, the judge may consider its merits in the case before him/her. Some jurisdictions are training to target vehicles at 1000' or less for fear that it may become the law of the land.

Good Citizen

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat
    I know one thing that is a law that Leos are not allowed to hide when they shoot radar BUT they do it all the time. I will tell you a funny story .At my Pops old body shop were he was the manger there was a Leo that use to sit beside the Body Shop sign to shoot radar. The Leo was righting tickets left and right and my dad started to lose business because of the Leo( couple of days he did this ). Finally my Pop gets pissed off about him shooting radar there and goes up tells him to leave ( im pretty sure that he didnít say it that nice). Later that day they come back and slap him with some Fines I for get all of them but one was having a sign that was that big that close to the road. With all the fines it totaled up to $1200 and he lost his bonus paying it to the Leos Now isnít that a *BEEP*.
    I would have just arranged letters on the sign to say "Cop behind sign, Slow Down!"

Longsnowsm

Thanks thestampcollector! That is exactly what I suspected. This was NJ specific case and not "the law of the land". I know where I live they have been targeting vehicles well over 1000', and I was hoping that there actually was something stating that 1000' is the limit. I don't believe that is the case here as I have read through several things with regards to traffic enforcement and there is nothing that states there is such a restriction in my state. So for the time being it looks like anything is fair game. When I read the posts on here about shooting laser from hiding, from overpasses, from behind, and at much longer distances than 1000' it doesn't appear that there are many real restrictions that are enforced when laser is employed.

Drive safe, have fun,
    Longsnowsm

Founder of Stealthvation

The Stampcollector is one knowledgable LEO. He is an asset to our forum family
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Longsnowsm

I don't think we should be doing testing with lidar countermeasures and detectors at 1000'(as the max distance) based on such shakey case law in one state. Many of us already are witnessing lidar use at distances exceeding this limit. Using this NJ case as the basis of testing seems questionable at best. I hope the testing coming up soon takes this into account.

Drive safe, have fun,
    Longsnowsm