Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Laser test against HID headlights - NEED YOUR INPUT

Hi guys,

Just got done with some testing with laser gun against vehicles with HID headlights. This seems to be inconclusive and preliminary but want to get some consensus as to the effects of HID headlights against laser. My preliminary tests shows that when shooting laser on a vehicle with HID headlights during dusk hours, the laser has a longer or harder time acquiring the target vehicle's speed specially on those vehicles with projector HID headlights.

To laser gun owners, can you do some test with your laser guns target vehicles with their HID headlights on?

Since we guys can't gather all together, I think it is a good idea to post a specific question or topic and let members do their own testing at their own time and preference then make comparisons.

What do you think about this idea to get other members involve in doing a particular test? Any feedback about this?

Radar Fanatic

I'd like to know this as well.

HIDs without projectors
    HIDs with projectors

I don't use projectors if anyone locally wants to test. I still haven't found anyone locally with a laser gun.

Advanced Member

I had absolutely no problem locking my car at 2400+ ft with my hid headlights on or off. It did not matter in my case. This was with the UL LR 125pps. I think the design of your headlight's inner reflector surface has more to do with ranging and acquisition than whether or not the lights are on. I wouldnt be surprised if whether or not the lights were on in some cars did severly affect acquiring the target. I did notice that it is a little harder to lock cars at night.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Power User

PMoth, does your car have projector HID's ? Did you test it on daytime, dusk or night time?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    PMoth, does your car have projector HID's ? Did you test it on daytime, dusk or night time?
    My car has factory equiped d2s projector hids. Testing was done in the daytime with lights on vs off back to back. At night, every vehicle on the road just seemed to be a little harder to clock. I can speculate as to why but there could be a few correct answers.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PMoth
    I had absolutely no problem locking my car at 2400+ ft with my hid headlights on or off. It did not matter in my case. This was with the UL LR 125pps. I think the design of your headlight's inner reflector surface has more to do with ranging and acquisition than whether or not the lights are on. I wouldnt be surprised if whether or not the lights were on in some cars did severly affect acquiring the target. I did notice that it is a little harder to lock cars at night.

I've noticed the same thing(atleast with the UL 125pps), that it takes a little longer to get readings. I'm not sure if this has to do with headlights interefering with acquiring speed readings or the fact the UL is more picky than other lidars.

From my experience, you have to aim the UL at reflective target(HL, FLP) to get a reading compared with a PL3 where it seems to get reading no matter where you target.

Speed Demon

absolutly no difference with or without HID both projector and non projector using PL2, PL3 and UL

Speed Demon

Jenoptic and Jenoptic clones (TraffiPatrol, non XR) have a great problem with Xenon lights. They also have great problem with high beam lights! Usually can't lock until last 200m or so! On Jenoptic you get E-11/E-12...

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by tactical22
    absolutly no difference with or without HID both projector and non projector using PL2, PL3 and UL
    I'm sorry to repeat this question again.

Was the test done during daytime, dusk hours or night time?

Day time acquisition was not a problem with HID headlights. But it does have some effect on dusk hours and night time hours on my preliminary tests. I had no problem clocking vehicles with halogen headlights at 1K plus ft. - that was the limited distance on this particular site and not the laser gun.

Professional

I wonder how my boosted 50 watt hids would do.