Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Street Lawyer

Default Laser Jammer Legalities

Found this interesting -- donno if it applies to the US

http://www.radio-active.net.au/blog/index.html

There is no broadcast law against LASER jammers. This is a public frequency of 904nm. You can check out the legalities of this at http://www.radars.com.au But in your article you mention "laser jammer" but then go on to talk about radar jammers. Two completely different things.

I have a few comments on this...

1. According to the Radiocommunications Act 1992, a radio emission is any emission of electromagnetic energy less than 420 THz, regardless of if it is an intentional or not. 904 nm is about 332 THz, so a 904 nm transmission is a RADIO EMISSION. Section 6 of the act notes that a RADAR device is covered under the act specifically. And therefore also a LASER RADAR operating at 904 nm is still a RADAR.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Laser Jammer Legalities

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225
    Found this interesting -- donno if it applies to the US

I don't think it does.

In the US...

radar=FCC

Laser=FDA

If it was an issue, the Deputy that came to our little demo today and ran me in NCIC as well as spent the time to shoot my car with the PL3 and 100LR would have taken action. All he did when I returned to the targeting location was comment "That is really cool" when he couldn't get PT on my C55 with a Quad LI. The look on his face was "priceless".

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by C55
    If it was an issue, the Deputy that came to our little demo today and ran me in NCIC as well as spent the time to shoot my car with the PL3 and 100LR would have taken action. All he did when I returned to the targeting location was comment "That is really cool" when he couldn't get PT on my C55 with a Quad LI. The look on his face was "priceless".
    I hate it when LEO's get proof positive that this stuff works. :roll:

Couldn't you just turn off the LI's after a second or two of being shot? :wink: and let him think none of this stuff works?

The last thing we need is publicity from sources that other LEO's will believe.

He was responding to a complaint of someone shooting LASER at cars so I had to give him a reasonable explanation of what we were doing. I must say that all of the encounters I have had have been very friendly and I have yet to have any LEO say, "we got to put an end to these jammers". Most think it's just plain cool! Besides, there are plenty of You-Tube videos out there and they far outweigh the number of in-touch encounters I have had with LEO!

Radar Fanatic

there are plenty of You-Tube videos out there and they far outweigh the number of in-touch encounters I have had with LEO!
    Like this one?

http://blip.tv/file/860028/

People can make videos on the internet show anything, but when a LEO sees it work in person, he becomes a source that other LEO's wil believe.

All it will take is the wrong people believing that these things need to be banned. The one you spoke to may think it's "cool" but will all his LEO buddies think so too?

I understand that you had to explain what you were doing, and maybe this was unavoidable, but I'm just saying that we are all better off if LEO's think this stuff doesn't work. :wink:

I understand and do not make a habit of this, trust me! One of my customers is a LEO and has an LI Dual in his private vehicle so they too hate LASER tickets!

Radar Fanatic

there is a difference between city cops and highway patrol after all

The person says laser is a type of radar but he is wrong. No matter how much he justifies it laser != radio.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
    there are plenty of You-Tube videos out there and they far outweigh the number of in-touch encounters I have had with LEO!
    Like this one?

http://blip.tv/file/860028/

People can make videos on the internet show anything, but when a LEO sees it work in person, he becomes a source that other LEO's wil believe.

All it will take is the wrong people believing that these things need to be banned. The one you spoke to may think it's "cool" but will all his LEO buddies think so too?

I understand that you had to explain what you were doing, and maybe this was unavoidable, but I'm just saying that we are all better off if LEO's think this stuff doesn't work. :wink:
    ^X2.

Point taken and noted!

Thanks!