Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In response-CT Laser Day Results. 5/25/2008

There were alot of people responding to this so I hope you don't mind that I started another thread to record my observations.

First off, I wasn't there. So my response is limited to the content of the thread.

E04 or error messages on the LASER are caused mostly by operator error. It is because that LASER was unable to lock onto the target for some reason. I read that you had yours mounted on a tripod? This limits the operators on the fly adjustment and could be the reason that you get the error message. Remember, we are dealing with a beam of infered light and as we all learned somewhere in our schooling, light cannot bend. It can only be reflected.

Try this next time. Hold the LASER against the cheek of your strong eye. Brace your elbows against a solid object. If I am in my car then I use the steering wheel or the Computer.

Then don't forget to breath.......Remember, this is a highly accurate piece of hardware. We use the survey feature for accident reconstruction.

Another thing I noticed is that the distances were up to 2000 feet. In the real world the distance is more like 200 to 900 feet. It takes a steady hand and a working knowlege of the LASER to have it be accurate outside that range. That too could account for your error messages.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing how this effects your results.

F

Suf Daddy

Default Most use of E-04 on these forums refers to Stalker's Jam code FYI

E-04 is NOT an operator error.

Please research the LIDAr guns and their error codes.

E-01 UL reading error
    E-02 UL reading error
    E-03 UL reading error

E-04 Stalker jam code
    E-04 UL timed under 1 sec < EDIT: never seen one either, quick trigger yields E-01 every time. >

E-07 UL Jam code

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    There were alot of people responding to this so I hope you don't mind that I started another thread to record my observations.

First off, I wasn't there. So my response is limited to the content of the thread.

E04 or error messages on the LASER are caused mostly by operator error. It is because that LASER was unable to lock onto the target for some reason. I read that you had yours mounted on a tripod? This limits the operators on the fly adjustment and could be the reason that you get the error message. Remember, we are dealing with a beam of infered light and as we all learned somewhere in our schooling, light cannot bend. It can only be reflected.

Try this next time. Hold the LASER against the cheek of your strong eye. Brace your elbows against a solid object. If I am in my car then I use the steering wheel or the Computer.

Then don't forget to breath.......Remember, this is a highly accurate piece of hardware. We use the survey feature for accident reconstruction.

Another thing I noticed is that the distances were up to 2000 feet. In the real world the distance is more like 200 to 900 feet. It takes a steady hand and a working knowledge of the LASER to have it be accurate outside that range. That too could account for your error messages.

F
    Last edited by Suf Daddy; 05-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Suf Daddy

These were used on tripod mounts.

Most "codes" come from the LIDAR inability to get a reading. MORE so than operator error (in the testing environment) They were REALLY trying to get punch thru (a reading)

Most tickets are issued beyond 1000 feet.

only in an urban city block environment will you see sub 500 foot readings.

Most LEO on the highway like to lock and pull out beside you or step into the road and point one over. Hence the longer distance readings to make this possible.

<SNIP>
    Another thing I noticed is that the distances were up to 2000 feet. In the real world the distance is more like 200 to 900 feet. It takes a steady hand and a working knowlege of the LASER to have it be accurate outside that range. That too could account for your error messages.

F

Yoda of Radar

Nice work Suf....

Again, I'm speaking from personal experience. 7200 tickets issued so far, and a majority issued by LASER.

Come to think of it, the E04 error code is one that I run into rarely. I never put 2 and 2 together. I don't remember it ever effecting a stop as I just re engaged and got a reading. Now that I know a little more of what to look for I'll ask about what kind of rig they are using.

My average distance is between 1400 and 400 feet. Again, from personal experiance. If need be I can start to keep track and post it here along with the devices I run into.

F

Advanced Member

Again, I'm speaking from personal experience. 7200 tickets issued so far, and a majority issued by LASER.

Come to think of it, the E04 error code is one that I run into rarely. I never put 2 and 2 together. I don't remember it ever effecting a stop as I just re engaged and got a reading. Now that I know a little more of what to look for I'll ask about what kind of rig they are using.

My average distance is between 1400 and 400 feet. Again, from personal experiance. If need be I can start to keep track and post it here along with the devices I run into.

F
    Good to know all this info. If I ever run into you on the streets and you get an E04 code on your Stalker, I'll know I have nothing to worry about. It gets deeper than what they teach you at the Academy!!! I wonder how many of the 7200 tickets were caused by operator error from the officer unknowingly causing panning/sweeping induced error. I have gotten an LTi Ultralyte LR to read 8 mph off a parked car at 125 ft away. I've gotten the Stalker to read 78+ mph from parked cars to road surfaces to telephone poles. These are repeatable at will. Your aim against your cheek is not steadier than my aim with a tripod. And I highly doubt your aim with a Lidar gun against the cheek of your eye will ever be steadier than any freehand aim of mine. Think you can hit a target with a Barrett M-95 from 1500+ yards? Give it a shot and let me know your accuracy after 100 attempts.
    Last edited by PMoth; 05-30-2008 at 07:47 PM.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Street Lawyer

F
    Fritter, you need to think outside the box. We are not your average Cobra/RMR punk kid speeding down the street. E04 is caused by the inability to get a reading, believe it or not YOU YOURSELF were probably JAMMED. You can keep thinking to yourself that it was YOUR error, and when you "readjusted yourself" and finally got a reading (after the user turned their laser jammer off on you) that you had corrected your error. Jamming is not something an unexperienced officer like yourself is going to recognized. It is real, it works, and it's something you should be aware of. You're in TX too, there's no laws against lidar jamming, so please, don't take it upon yourself to think it's your DUTY to obtain speed readings and wrongfully start issuing obstruction of justice tickets just because you now actually know that jammers work. Just smile on it and learn from experience.

Advanced Member

LMAO!!! The nerve of this dude!!!! "Tripods limit your ability to adjust on the fly." WHAT?? Tripods don't weigh 67 lbs. They aren't permanent mounts. If you really want to shread your target, use "the cheek of your eye" as a brace!!!
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Suf Daddy

I knew Fritter was a LEO or in some type of agency w/ enforcement from his earlier posts.

We shouldn't be at odds here, (I don't think anyone intends to be) but without knowing what LIDAR Fritter has been using, I have no idea what his experience has been.

I'd be curious if someone could get an E-04 out of a 20/20, Marksman or an UL.

With regards to LTI and Stalker LIDARS:
    E-04 and E-07 are usual occurrences. Head lights will do it. Some Neon signs and even sunlight reflections. Only the LTI E-07 warble tone stands out as a Hey! thats not right! Stalker E-04 is very common, after a few days its not a cause for alarm or a PC for a vehicle stop.........

Fritter, what was your LIDAR in service?
    Last edited by Suf Daddy; 05-30-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Suf Daddy View Post

Fritter, what was your LIDAR in service?
    I don't think he has answered that question in the past. He has been previously ask about it but never answered the question.