Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Laser "burn marks" on vehicle?

Hi Everyone,

Just a quickie -

Do speed lasers shoot from the rear of a cop car? - Real Police: Law Enforcement,Police Officer,Criminal Justice,Background Checks website...

Specifically, post # 13.

Most times we target a headlight or the front license plate with a laser. If you want to know if the officer was using a laser, look closely at those spots on your car. If there are small circular burn marks on a light or on your front plate, he was using a laser.
    Highlighted for-emphasis.

I was guided to this post from a fellow hobbyist on RR.net.

My question, obviously, is whether or not this is even possible

Here's, to those who are wondering, a transcript of what we discussed:

From Me (in-reply to the fellow hobbyist's citing of the above):
    ^ "Burn" marks on metal?

ROFL! Right.....and so what would happen to your retina? or your skin?

That's outright laughable.

Such "burn appearing" spots can be caused by any of a number of usual road-debris and environmental concerns. It's actually among the "bread-and-butter" items that are worked on by car-detailers and paint refinishing shops.

There's absolutely no way that any regulating authority would authorize the use of anything that carries with it the potential of THAT much damage - not only to personal property (i.e. the car...imagine the property-claim lawsuits that would ensue from such a device), but to citizenry.
    From the other member:

Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    and so what would happen to your retina?
    Ummm... you are aware that all laser units come with a warning stating not to look directly into the unit if power is on, don't you?

Such "burn appearing" spots can be caused by any of a number of usual road-debris and environmental concerns.
    Anyone who can't distinguish a burn mark from a paint chip, needs to see their optometrist. It's a fairly obvious distinction.

imagine the property-claim lawsuits that would ensue
    How so? If you noticed a burn mark on your headlight right now (and they're not easy to spot) how would you know where it came from in the first place? If you don't know who put it there, how are you going to bring a lawsuit against them?
    My reply:

Originally Posted by '09 Milan
    Ummm... you are aware that all laser units come with a warning stating not to look directly into the unit if power is on, don't you?
    Certainly!

Originally Posted by '09 Milan
    Anyone who can't distinguish a burn mark from a paint chip, needs to see their optometrist. It's a fairly obvious distinction.

How so? If you noticed a burn mark on your headlight right now (and they're not easy to spot) how would you know where it came from in the first place? If you don't know who put it there, how are you going to bring a lawsuit against them?
    ^ Ah, but there's the catch.

If it's known that police LIDAR causes such property damage (less to say damage to motorists' and bystanders' eyes), then you could easily bring suit every time you're "lasered."

And I can hardly believe that our fellow hobbyists - many of whom have *very* pricey automobiles that are a part of their core "car hobby," would subject these same vehicles, their precious property, to repeated LIDAR testing, should such burns be an issue.

Honestly, this just doesn't make sense - and goes along pretty well with the "death ray" that one of the other posters in that thread referenced.

Besides, if said "burns" were true, you could only imagine what may have happened to the bicyclists and walkers who were targeted by said hobbyists in their videos....at close range, no less!
    Last edited by TSi+WRX; 06-16-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Professional

This is laughable. If police Lidar was this powerful they'd be starting forest fires and giving people sunburn whenever they pulled the trigger.

Professional

Do not believe it's possible for these "burn" marks to come from a police lidar gun. This would have came out before now. Plus like you said no regulatory agency would allow it. I also believe that this shows how knowledgeable most leos are about there equipment. If you don't understand something you should not be allowed to operate it.
    Last edited by rsatmans; 06-16-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Advanced Member

It is very possible to do. But I guarantee you will need a few more lenses and a Stalker LZ1.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by rsatmans View Post
    ... this shows how knowledgeable most leos are about there equipment. If you don't understand something you should not be allowed to operate it.
    Dude. They're government officials. They know all about everything. You shouldn't even be questioning their expertise. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a ticket in the mail for "contempt of LEO" for that statement. This is why you should listen to them when they say that laser jammers and radar/lidar detectors don't work.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ersin View Post
    Dude. They're government officials. They know all about everything. You shouldn't even be questioning their expertise. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a ticket in the mail for "contempt of LEO" for that statement. This is why you should listen to them when they say that laser jammers and radar/lidar detectors don't work.

I'd be willing to bet that there are no physics majors in that thread!

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that there are no physics majors in that thread!
    More like just a bunch of Phys Ed majors.

Radar Fanatic

Advanced Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ UNDERSTEER FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    More like just a bunch of Phys Ed majors.
    Phys Ed major dropouts, more than likely.