Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Hawaii meet anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    Now I live in an 100% laser location. Is the v1 overkill? I don't need super wide Ka spectrum and instant on detection etc.

Just a good quality laser detector.
    I think so. Every one of my RDs has always notified me when I am the target. The V1's extra sensitivity might be helpful for detecting scatter, but since you are talking about being notified after the fact, I'd say just about any cheap detector will do. The V1 does stop alerting immediately after the laser has stopped shooting however. Another option might be a ZR3 or ZR4 in recieve only mode. They detect laser extremely well and the display would be much easier to conceal, IMO. I'd say you have many options, since all you want is a laser detector.

Old Timer

My take on this is somewhat opposite of our good brother djrams's....

I'm a firm believer in that it's better to just not be there to "take the hit" at all. Remember, the odds are always stacked against us - all it takes is that one unlikely PT to ruin our day, and to ruin our driving (or riding) records and insurance rates for years to come.

Given any LIDAR encounter, I'd take early detection any time and every time.

Certainly, having an extremely powerful and effective jammer, such as the LI, means that during a true-hit encounter, I'm more than well protected - but to know of an impending attack, and to be able to take active steps to avoid it in the first place, now that's excellent tactical value.

The V1 is well-known for its ability to pick up scatter and reflections. Either it or the ZR3/4 (used in conjunction with the LI, the ZR3 should, for the time being, be kept in "Receive Only" mode, due to cross-talk worries; the ZR4 so far has not seen such concerns, but it's price tag is much higher) does extremely well at this "early warning."

In the end, I do think that both schools of thought are plenty valid - you can easily go either with what dj's suggested, or with what I suggested, and still do just fine. It's just up to your personal beliefs, and preferences.

Yoda of Radar

Not to threadjack, but how does the ZR4's laser detection compare to the V1? <, >, or =?

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Old Timer

^ "Different."

I know, that's a poor answer - please let me expand.

The ZR4's advantage is that their typical placement has them very, very close to the typical points-of-aim that are favored by enforcers. This means that they'll *NEVER* miss a "true" LIDAR hit.

A part of that confidence in saying that they'll *NEVER* miss a true hit also comes from their overall sensitivity, which is truly startling. View Cbr and ELVATO's ZR4/PASS comparison video, shot in IR, and you'll see why. Even though the PASS's receiver diode is optically aided by a collimator lens setup that's much akin to what is seen on the V1 (IRCMUSA's then-innovative IR-videos were among the first used to provide conclusive proof of this), it still fails to be nearly as sensitive as the ZR4's setup.

It's easily seen from Cbr and ELVATO's videos that "scatter" and "reflectioins" are not going to often be missed by the ZR4.

But here, the V1 isn't without its own advantages.

In a typical passenger vehicle - but even moreso on a truck or SUV, where the greenhouse will not only sit higher, but also often occupies a greater percentage of space "above-beltline" - the V1, placed high, can literally "see over" traffic, and this capability, along with the V1's collimator lens being paired with what can only be described as a prismatic "light funnel," truly places this unit in a class in itself, when it comes to in-vehicle, stand-alone, detectors.

It's thus really hard to say which one is better/best. It's just different , but both are EXTREMELY formidable tools against LIDAR speed detection.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Not to threadjack, but how does the ZR4's laser detection compare to the V1? <, >, or =?
    Just slightly less, which is why I have disabled mine. Too many false alerts.

Yoda of Radar

Oh man! Sweet explanation! Thanks a lot!

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Suf Daddy

Then go back and edit the post to add the smiley face.

Somebody reading that post quote could be pissed.
    Read quickly, it made ME be the bad guy.

Not so cool.

12 hours and $1000 (min) on two planes isn't worth the hassle.
    I travel quite a bit.

I can be in most neighborhoods once a year West and East coast.

I had a guy HAND deliver the LIDAR to this kid on Oahu, and he still douched me and the Saint who retrieved it back for me.

"Wilson" was the guys last name.
    And if you do the court system search, he's not the "Wilson" sex offender in custody, but he does have a "rap" sheet.

GUAM wouldn't be a stretch for me either.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've made it to that side of the globe..........

-Suf

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Sorry. I swear I had put a winky face at the end of that post. Apparently it didn't take. I was just kidding around, in keeping with the other "racist" accusations being jokingly thrown around here lately. My apologies for screwing that up. No offence was intended.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Suf Daddy View Post
    Sorry. My primary forum is a place where you can't edit a post after 90 minutes passes, so I sometimes forget I still can here. Will do.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Suf Daddy View Post

Somebody reading that post quote could be pissed.
    Read quickly, it made ME be the bad guy.

Not so cool.

12 hours and $1000 (min) on two planes isn't worth the hassle.
    I travel quite a bit.

I can be in most neighborhoods once a year West and East coast.

I had a guy HAND deliver the LIDAR to this kid on Oahu, and he still douched me and the Saint who retrieved it back for me.

"Wilson" was the guys last name.
    And if you do the court system search, he's not the "Wilson" sex offender in custody, but he does have a "rap" sheet.

GUAM wouldn't be a stretch for me either.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've made it to that side of the globe..........

-Suf
    No problem. I understand where you're coming from when it comes to loaning out equipment only to have a guy up and run and try to hide.

I've resorted to conducting my tests by just JTG doing the PSL

I've done some tests using my uncle who's a sheriff but it's no fun when I can't see the performance of my own vehicle (i'm always the one riding it) and he won't let me record the HUD in fear i'd youtube it and put his job in jeapordy (he is the only traffic enforcement officer in this particular area) LOL.

Would be nice to have a meet someday if you are ever in town

Aloha!

Experienced

Suf Daddy lives in MA? He ddn't come to visit us during our testing