Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Ticket For Jamming?

So lets say a cop is shooting his laser gun at cars getting quick reads on all of them, then he comes across a certain car....aims, fires, and nothing. He keeps the laser pointed at the car trying both headlights and then the licence plate....still, nothing. Can this cop pull over this car for having probable cause that the driver is using an illegal laser jammer?

Good Citizen

Default Re: Ticket For Jamming?

Laser jammers are not illegal here so they can't write you a ticket for it. But some a$$hole cops know that you have it and try to make an issue of it and "attempt" to write you a ticket for speeding anyway. I just beat two of these in court.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTillFive View Post
    He keeps the laser pointed at the car trying both headlights and then the licence plate....still, nothing.
    I think you've got to consider the logic of turning off the jamming device so the peace officer can get a reading (after you've checked your speed, of course) and think little or nothing of the incident.

Sure, peace officers are going to get up to speed sooner or later on jammers and jamming. It doesn't take a brain surgeon

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by oahuyahoo View Post
    Laser jammers are not illegal here so they can't write you a ticket for it. But some a$$hole cops know that you have it and try to make an issue of it and "attempt" to write you a ticket for speeding anyway. I just beat two of these in court.
    That is the problem, he might get pissed off and take a reading from another car, how can you prove that?

Power User

even if it's legal, they can still charge you with interference with police duties

Old Timer

this is why with laser jammers its best to jam if you are speeding for aas little as possible, slow down to the PSL and then shut them off

Good Citizen

OK, this works with jammers, but is there a way to turn of blinders? Certainly not Veil.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTillFive View Post
    OK, this works with jammers, but is there a way to turn of blinders? Certainly not Veil.
    Blinders are Jammers and Veil will not Jam the gun..just make it slightly harder to get a reading

Radar Fanatic

I heard something about jammers being a "secondary offense". I guess this means that an officer cannot pull you over for having laser jammers, but if he suspects you do and follows you waiting for you to do something wrong and gets you for rolling through a stop sign for example then he can get you for the jammers. I think that's how it works... Not 100% sure.

Legal in 41 States

Quote Originally Posted by Zapple View Post
    I heard something about jammers being a "secondary offense". I guess this means that an officer cannot pull you over for having laser jammers, but if he suspects you do and follows you waiting for you to do something wrong and gets you for rolling through a stop sign for example then he can get you for the jammers. I think that's how it works... Not 100% sure.
    Thats the case for IL, and if/when they do find them, it's a $50 fine.