Experienced

Default How much does sunlight....

how much does sunlight effect my LI. It seems that every where i go there is sun interference. Should i slow down when going into the sun?

Old Timer

Default Re: How much does sunlight....

I know in testing, yes, there is a difference. People who get PTs when going into the sun, get JTG when the sun isn't in the jammer's "face."

Would I worry about it? I wouldn't. You might want to slow down a little faster, but I wouldn't think it would completely cripple a jammer.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO View Post
    I know in testing, yes, there is a difference. People who get PTs when going into the sun, get JTG when the sun isn't in the jammer's "face."

Would I worry about it? I wouldn't. You might want to slow down a little faster, but I wouldn't think it would completely cripple a jammer.
    Sounds good

Newcomer

Only time I would worry about it is driving into the sun, and when trees/objects cause a series of shadows on the road that are passed over very quickly. The constant increasing and decreasing of light levels can mess with detection.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Only time I would worry about it is driving into the sun, and when trees/objects cause a series of shadows on the road that are passed over very quickly. The constant increasing and decreasing of light levels can mess with detection.
    I drive into the sun mostly when im coming back from school. Its on a highway and the only shadow there is are overpasses every couple of miles.

Old Timer

Ivan's been quoted in saying that it can cut the effectiveness of the LI by nearly a third.

This is why, on dual-head setups, LI utilizes "cross-logic/divorced-logic." It's why you'll get the unit, from Cliff, set up as either sensors 2+3 or 1+4, when you have only two heads in-play. It's hedging one's bet that, just perhaps, the "sun interference" (and remember, this isn't just the sun, but *any* extremely bright ambient light setting - if you're in a colder area, try enabling SIA when it's snow-covered outside, you'll get situations where the snow-glare sets off the SIA on the LI, even if it is an overcast day), is only affecting one head, thus allowing the other to still perform at-maximum.

The question was discussed as to then whether to perform the same "cross-logic" setup for a vehicle with 4 heads, two front, and two rear.

The answer is that this is, currently, unclear.

There's no way to say that a vehicle which encounters a forward-induced SIA won't, at that very instant, be shot from the rear. In such a case, having a divorced-logic setup would cause "one-half" of the vehicle's rear profile (the part being painted) to be at less than optimal strength.

Without the ability to individually (i.e. you versus me versus him) compile a set of statistics based on one's unique encounters, it becomes nearly impossible to make this choice.

In the real world, though, like ELVATO and the others have suggested, it won't completely "cripple" the jammer's performance, but yes, you should use extra caution. We've seen that in various testing situations that this is a real concern, and it should merit some level of driver-response.

And BTW, just because the LI lets us know of the SIA doesn't mean that it's the only jammer that's negatively affected by such conditions.

ALL current-market jammers suffer this problem.

Advanced Member

First off sunlight negatively effects ALL jamers sold on the market.

The Laser Interceptor is the only jammer to alert you than the sunlight is decreased the recieving diodes. Every other jammer available has a sunlight interference mode. They are only in that mode while the sunlight is effecting the heads(You could get a SIA, from the LI and by the time the alert is 1second into sound, the jammer is back to full reception power)

DO NOT THINK OF SUNLIGHT CAUSING A LARGE PROBLEM. As it negatively effect both your jammer and his laser gun

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Experienced

Thanks guys