Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Update: Got the Single Head LPP (Placement advice)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak98 View Post
    Really, wow! Thanks for the info. Thats great news

The ones in the picture are not, but I have since upgraded to OEM European HID headlights.

So they even reduced PT's during the day? Do you have a link to the results?

+ Rep to you sir!

EDIT: Found and searched through the thread, couldn't find any mention of that
    The HID headlight results (daytime) were what we discovered during testing at last weekend's Atlanta Jammerfest. The headlight tests were just something which popped into my head at the last minute after we were wrapped up with the actual testing. I hope that the results were recorded, but to the best of my recollection, turning HID lights on during the day resulted in PT distances which were at least halved. Jaykog hopefully may have the test results tabulated and posted Tuesday evening. Anyway, I couldn't believe that HID lights made a significant difference, especially after testing two other vehicles which had conventional halogen headlights. Yet the two vehicles which had HID lights had way shorter PT distances. The only thing I can figure is that HID lamps emit way more infrared (heat) compared to halogen lamps, and this raises the noise floor in a laser gun.

Speed Demon

Well thanks again for the info, I will be running with them on all the time from now on.

I'd definitely like to see a specific test of the measured difference it makes.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak98 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, install is happening tomorrow

Just curious where do you find your extra LPP heads?

I was able to find a few heads on the auction site and I resealed the heads. No issues so far with them, but I realize I am taking a risk. Other jammers heads are said to be identical and I have used all 4 heads (at various times) I have in both the AlG8 and LPP.
    Last edited by samq45; 03-26-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    The only thing I can figure is that HID lamps emit way more infrared (heat) compared to halogen lamps, and this raises the noise floor in a laser gun.
    I thought HIDs radiated far less "forward heat" than conventional halogen lighting?

But this brings up an interesting issue - exactly "what kind of heat" may be at-play, here. Is it more in the IR range, and maybe that's what's causing the problem for the LIDAR guns?

And if it is IR that's the concern, what about a comparison-test with HIR bulbs? Would the HIR bulbs cause more or less interference?

Similarly a consideration for this should be made as to whether this is just a "brightness" issue? Bright ambient lighting - such as sunlight - cuts the effectiveness of all jammers to-date....does the reverse, a powerful lighting source shining "into" the police LIDAR, also thus cut its effectiveness, and if-so, is this the reason why HIDs do what they do?

Most interesting......