Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Weather tolerance of Laser Jammers

I have had a Blinder for some time now and I live in CNY (just a bit away from Syracuse)... and it has proven itself reliable for me thus far.

I very rarely wash my car... and on the front and back I have had zero issues. (dual M25's)...1-J16, 1-J15.

Old Timer

Default Re: Weather tolerance of Laser Jammers

Quote Originally Posted by nyjason13 View Post
    Oh yeah, salt. In the winter months, roads around here are bathed in loads of salt. That can't be good for jammer heads.
    Forget the chemistry of the road-treatments.

Just look at the practical side - it obscures the jammer heads' line-of-sight, either degrading reception or transmission, or both.

If your heads aren't clean, you're going to receive significantly less protection.

The only points of solace are rather small - that:

(1) enforcers are less likely to operate speed traps in the foulest of weather conditions - and are more focused on wrecks/rescues

(2), that when enforcing traffic, they're less likely to use LIDAR (due to weather/practicality constraints)

and (3) a dirty car is much less LIDAR reflective than a bright-and-clean car, and the way that road-treatment typically "stipples" the front of a vehicle and obscures the front license plate and/or lighting units does also make LIDAR lock less efficient.

-----

Me, personally?

My ZR3s lasted for 3+ years before one of the front heads finally saw moisture ingress.

Of the two of my first-run, initial-US-release v8.0 LI front heads, one developed moisture ingress issues after it and its line-mate literally got frozen, in a block of ice, onto the front of my car in one of our occasional NE-Ohio blizzards. This was after two winters of having this product, and through one exceptionally wet NE-Ohio summer, too. Cliff, of LI North-America/UK, upgraded me, free-of-charge as warranty support service to the initial-release users, to a pair of the revised v8.0A heads. My rear heads, both current variants, have not seen any problems, and have weathered one NE-Ohio winter.

One of my two front LPP heads, an older, Croatian-made variant, developed a moisture-ingress issue just before its first-year anniversary, and was replaced under-warranty by go.mouse of KMPH-Canada/LPP-Canada. My rear head recently developed a similar issue, and that head has weathered 2 NE-Ohio winters without problems, and was a casualty of this spring's early storms. go.mouse has graciously offered to extend my warranty protection on this item, and has promised me a free replacement head.