Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    74

    Question Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    I live in Colorado where, unfortunately, the use of laser jammers is illegal. Does anyone know what the repercussions of using laser jammers would be? Is it worth doing so and getting cited for laser jammers instead of speeding, saving my driving record and insurance costs?

    This may be a Colorado-based answer, probably different in each state that outlaws jammers.

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,501

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    It depends on the State law.

    Laser jammers don't work, the police equipment is superior.

  3. #3
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY State
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by th3 factory freak View Post
    It depends on the State law.

    Laser jammers don't work, the police equipment is superior.
    QFT

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,501

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    Ya, don't waste your time.

    The best way is to wrap the front of your car in foil and purchase a Rocky Mountain Radar unit.

  5. #5
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    6,540

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    You can run a laser jammer in Colorado, just have a kill switch hooked up to it and you'll be fine.

  6. #6
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,309

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by th3 factory freak View Post
    Ya, don't waste your time.

    The best way is to wrap the front of your car in foil and purchase a Rocky Mountain Radar unit.
    Laser Stik FTW!

  7. #7
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    42-4-1415. Radar jamming devices prohibited - penalty.

    (1) (a) No person shall use, possess, or sell a radar jamming device.

    (b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a radar jamming device in the motor vehicle.

    (2) (a) For purposes of this section, "radar jamming device" means any active or passive device, instrument, mechanism, or equipment that is designed or intended to interfere with, disrupt, or scramble the radar or laser that is used by law enforcement agencies and peace officers to measure the speed of motor vehicles. "Radar jamming device" includes but is not limited to devices commonly referred to as "jammers" or "scramblers".

    (b) For purposes of this section, "radar jamming device" shall not include equipment that is legal under FCC regulations, such as a citizens' band radio, ham radio, or any other similar electronic equipment.

    (3) Radar jamming devices are subject to seizure by any peace officer and may be confiscated and destroyed by order of the court in which a violation of this section is charged.

    (4) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense, punishable as provided in section 42-4-1701 (3) (a) (II) (A).

    (5) The provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to peace officers acting in their official capacity.

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,309

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by untrueparadox View Post
    42-4-1415. Radar jamming devices prohibited - penalty.

    (1) (a) No person shall use, possess, or sell a radar jamming device.

    (b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a radar jamming device in the motor vehicle.

    (2) (a) For purposes of this section, "radar jamming device" means any active or passive device, instrument, mechanism, or equipment that is designed or intended to interfere with, disrupt, or scramble the radar or laser that is used by law enforcement agencies and peace officers to measure the speed of motor vehicles. "Radar jamming device" includes but is not limited to devices commonly referred to as "jammers" or "scramblers".

    (b) For purposes of this section, "radar jamming device" shall not include equipment that is legal under FCC regulations, such as a citizens' band radio, ham radio, or any other similar electronic equipment.

    (3) Radar jamming devices are subject to seizure by any peace officer and may be confiscated and destroyed by order of the court in which a violation of this section is charged.

    (4) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense, punishable as provided in section 42-4-1701 (3) (a) (II) (A).

    (5) The provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to peace officers acting in their official capacity.
    Speeding is illegal too. If you don't want to break the law, drive the speed limit.

  9. #9
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,806

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by th3 factory freak View Post
    Ya, don't waste your time.

    The best way is to wrap the front of your car in foil and purchase a Rocky Mountain Radar unit.
    Foil!? You know foil reflects laser like crazy! You need to wrap the entire front of your car in black duct tape. Black because it's less reflective, and duct tape because everyone knows duct tape can fix anything!!

    Oh yeah, since LEOs know the front plate and headlights are the most reflective parts, make sure to cover those in black duct tape too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    Speeding is illegal too. If you don't want to break the law, drive the speed limit.
    X2... and the penalty for a jammer in most no-jammer states (and even RDs in Virginia) are far less than the penalty for a speeding ticket.

    Typically jammer/RD is an equipment violation, no points and a modest fine. If you're caught, pay it and go on with life, knowing that a speeding ticket will cost you much more.
    If I'm passing you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    If speed kills, how come I'm still alive?

    Active Countermeasures: V1 3.858, Escort Redline, Beltronics STi-R+, LI Dual 7.1x CPU/8.7 Heads (front)
    Other/Backup Countermeasures: V1 3.813 (loaned to friend), Beltronics Pro RX65 M4 6.3
    Vehicle: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    LEO Toys: Kustom Pro Laser II & III
    Encounters/Saves August 2011: Radar 3/1, Laser 0/0


  10. #10
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Colorado - Laser jammer illegal usage?

    $10 to $300 fine for first time offense. It's a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense. They can take your jammer's too and destroy them. But if you have a kill switch you should be fine (not talking from experience)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Having a Laser Jammer in a state (OK) that's illegal?
    By Ibis Ghost in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 09:34 AM
  2. Proper use of an illegal Laser Jammer
    By zhukov1945 in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
  3. Best Laser Jammer for use in a state where they're ILLEGAL?
    By KalJer in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM
  4. Criminal code makes laser jammer illegal?
    By go.mouse in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 06:53 AM
  5. Radar Jammers illegal on Colorado
    By Radar Roy in forum News Stories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 06:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •