Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden LJ's

Good Citizen

Default Hidden LJ's

Has anyone hidden LJ's in a rear license plate frame? Maybe vertical on each end?
    Just a thought........

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hidden LJ's

Been done. Many times. Search(). Great minds think alike.

Yoda of Radar

Definitely been done. It's about the last place you'd want do do that though. The coverage would be piss poor on most vehicles.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Definitely been done. It's about the last place you'd want do do that though. The coverage would be piss poor on most vehicles.
    Some might be better than none, as long as you don't become over confident.

I most commonly see the good installers putting the ZR4 head o the plate by itself, solely to protect the veiled plate; then combined with two LI slim or Mx7 heads to protect the mass and lights.

Also when it came to rear shots, extreme close distance PTs wouldn't worry me too much because unless he's atop a bridge or in an onramp there's little to no excuse for not visually identifying before passing him, and reacting according before the shot is off, and even with onramps and bridges it's been habbit to check every one both directions, my direction of travel first then opposing, when passing crossroads.

What's actually inside the transponders of the LI? They units are pretty small, but I belive the laser diodes are really tiny. I'm assuming there are additional circuits, etc in the heads, but would it be possible to have just the send/receive diodes in even smaller cases. Have the small send/receive units mounted on the bumper/grill/ whatever and have the support electronics mounted inside the engine compartment or someplace less obvious?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    Been done. Many times. Search(). Great minds think alike.
    I did a search on "Great minds think alike" I read a bunch of threads but didn't find anthing on license plate frames. It is funny though, reading a thread is interesting even though it isn't what you are looking for.

My thought is, a license plate frame that is some what wider and deeper to accomodiate a pair of LJ's. If something like this is out there, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I plan on a pair of LI hp's. I just don't want to bolt them on the back of the car. It may not be the best possible install, but something is better than nothing. I got the att pix off ebay as a possibility.
    I would paint the frame body color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Member

There is no reason to hide your parking sensors!!! No one has any any what they are looking at and operated properly where you slow to PSL and let officer get a speed reading you will have NO issues

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

I have mine mounted by the plate, and they work great, I was JFG on the PL2, the only time we got a speed was from the passengers side mirror about 20 feet from the gun, and the only reason that happened was because the blinders could not see the beam. http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...der-heads.html I also now have a black frame around the plate basically making the heads invisible.

Good Citizen

Looks Good LanGuy, clean job. I would like to have the heads mounted vertically
    as far out fom the plate as possible, and be integrated into the frame. I hadn't thought about the license plate illuminating light. My original thought was mounting a single LI hp head in the spoiler about a foot above the license plate, but no one thought that was a good idea.

Good Citizen

Default Testing LJ's

I have my front LI's installed and am trying to test them. I did read the sticky FAQ.
    The LJ's are powered up ( I get the 'welcome') I have tried two different TV, one VCR ,one DVD remote while looking at them with two different cell phone cameras and one regular digital camera. This is done in the dark, There is no indication of flashing. I must be doing something wrong. Do I have to buy a fifty dollar tester? OH ya, the connectors are plugged into the CPU.
    Attached Images Attached Images