Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default A question re Laser vs Laser

If a cop was shooting laser and you shot laser directly into his RX lens on his laser would it screw up the reading on his laser??? Linda like a ajmmer??

Has anyone tried this or if you have 2 lidars please test it for me...

Cheers

Stalker

Power User

anyone????

Power User

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing IF this is possible probably only with the same type of laser gun and if the firing was timed a certain way. Just my guess, but I have no idea for sure.

Professional

I wonder if you got a super powerful laser and shot it at the cop, it would burn the laser diode inside? But then if you shot the cop's eyes or something and blinded him, you'll be in much bigger trouble than just damaging cop equipment.

Power User

hahah yeah...good value...

The way i look at it is the laser will get mismatched pulses in the RX lens so it should throw a weird error....unless it filters out...

Good Citizen

Cops are blind anyway......just see what they want to :?

Power User

Jimbo, Roy, JTW?? anyone that has access to a Lidar can test it??

Cheers

Banned

This wont do anything, I think I am not a jim but from what I understand, The LIDAR guns strickly Fliter Out everything else except there own Pulse. The way the jammer is with Diodes , The Jammer is alearted to laser and then turns on and pulses another IF signal back, hopefully getting to the unit so that the original pulse becomes modulated and the gun basically rejegtsa its own signal.

Its the same thing as trying to shoot radar with radar..
    Dont quote me BUT I think this is why that wouldmt work.

I wonder if you got a super powerful laser and shot it at the cop, it would burn the laser diode inside? But then if you shot the cop's eyes or something and blinded him, you'll be in much bigger trouble than just damaging cop equipment.
    You cant Burn out Diodes by shooting another laser at them. The way diodes are burned out is because the power supply is Suppling too much voltage or too much current!!! .

This is something I am going to be watching closely at, Will the power supplies burn out the Newest jammer models coming out.

Advanced Member

Default Re: A question re Laser vs Laser

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    If a cop was shooting laser and you shot laser directly into his RX lens on his laser would it screw up the reading on his laser??? Linda like a ajmmer??
    In general (some guns like the Jenoptik LaserPatrol might be an exception), for one gun to "jam" the other, the pulses of the jamming gun must reach the targeting gun after the targeting gun sends out it's own pulse, but before it sees that pulse reflected back. It will ignore any pulses received after that.

So, assume 1000 feet to the vehicle. At 1000 feet, it takes the pulse about 2.32 microseconds (0.00000232 seconds) to travel to the vehicle and back to the gun. You have within that time frame for a pulse from the jamming gun to reach the targeting gun. Now assume you're using two Kustom Prolaser 3's at 200pps. The gun sends out a pulse every 5000 microseconds (.005 seconds). So, you would have about a 1 in 2155 chance that you could trigger the jamming gun for the pulses to reach the targeting gun at the right time for it to accept them. But wait, this is with both guns stationary.

It gets even more complicated, since one of the guns is moving in the vehicle. As you approach the gun, the time of flight for the targeting pulses get shorter, and the time of flight for the jamming pulses get shorter too. The time of flight for the targeting pulses will always be twice that of the jamming pulses, since the targeting pulses have to travel to the vehicle and back while the jamming pulses only have to travel one way.

Here's an example:

Assume that at 1000 feet you trigger the jamming laser gun and luck is on your side. Your jamming gun fires a pulse .84 microseconds after each pulse is fired from the targeting gun, allowing a pulse to fall into the "window":

-the targeting gun sends out it's pulse.
    -.84 microseconds later the jamming gun sends out it's pulse
    -jamming pulse takes 1.16 microseconds to travel to the targeting gun @ 1000 feet
    -jamming pulse received at 2 microseconds and accepted as reflected pulse from targeting gun
    -reflected pulse from targeting gun received at 2.32 microseconds and is ignored

All fine and good right? Well, you continue to trigger the jamming gun as you approach the targeting gun, and here's what it looks like at 500 feet:

-the targeting gun sends out it's pulse
    -.84 microseconds later the jamming gun sends out it's pulse
    -jamming pulse takes .58 seconds to travel to the targeting gun
    -reflected pulse received at 1.16 microseconds and accepted as reflected pulse from targeting gun
    -jamming pulse received at 1.42 microseconds and is ignored

The jamming pulse is timed to fire .84 microseconds after the targeting pulse. At about 825 feet, at .84 microseconds, the targeting pulse has reflected off the vehicle and is on it's way back to the gun before the jamming pulse is even fired. So in the above scenario, jamming would cease at about 825 feet.

To jam down to within 100 feet of the gun, the jamming pulse would need to be fired .1 microseconds after the targeting pulse. So for a gun that fires a pulse every 5000 microseconds, there would be about a 1 in 50000 chance of triggering the second gun at the right time.

My conclusion? Although technically possible, certainly not too likely (unless I am missing something or the guns are somehow a lot dumber than I think they are).

Jim

Power User

WOW thanks Jim, that solves that....so your saying there is a chance

Easier to just buy a jammer and have it firing off even then it would be harder if you are parked on the side of the road.

Thanks again for yall input.