Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Lightbulb Idea to Keep Parking Aid Receivers Clean

Just had the idea of spraying CRC silicone spray on the Parking Aid Receivers so that dust/dirt/grime would have a tougher time sticking to it, very much alike to what RainX does to windshields.

Is this a good idea? Does silicone-spray attenuate or reduce IR? Does anyone have the resources/facilities to find out?

I think a little silicone-spray would go a long way in keeping the sensors clean, especially on a road-trip.

Link below for CRC silicone spray
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074-Silicone-Multi-Use-Lubricant/dp/B000BXKZUG]Amazon.com: CRC 05074 Heavy Duty Silicone Multi-Use Lubricant…[/ame]

P.S. What about RainX? Does RainX attenuate IR?

Professional

Default Re: Idea to Keep Parking Aid Receivers Clean

I think silicone will put a 'film' on the sensors. Not something I would do. Just wipe with water and rag or some soapy water to get the grime off.

If you put that on your sensors, I would get the jammer tested first before depending on it. Oh yeah, if you do, video it

Good Citizen

doesn't blinder use a silicone cover on their jammers to help protect them from water damage? so why would this silicone stuff hurt the ability of the P/A?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by gowhere? View Post
    doesn't blinder use a silicone cover on their jammers to help protect them from water damage? so why would this silicone stuff hurt the ability of the P/A?
    not sure about blinder. I have the LI

give it a try and let us know

Banned

That kind of silicone spray uses a base oil to carry the silicone. Its going to attract dust and give it something to stick to. If anything, I'd put a thin layer of clear wax, maybe even Rain-X on it.

Yoda of Radar

Rain-X works by filling in microscopic pores in glass... it does not work anywhere near as well on plastic (just an FYI for those interested)... motorcycle visors + rain-x = barely any difference.

I would not trust it simply because the haze it leaves on glass after the application (even after wiped off with a damp-towel).

Some Lemon-Pledge on the other hand seems to work excellent and is well known in the motorcycle/airplane communities... and I would use that first over rain-x. Maybe carry a pack of Pledge-Wipes if it bothers you that much.

Bottom-line... I just wipe them clean before big trips with water and a soft cloth... I prefer not to put any cleaning agents on my heads if at all possible, as they often have a tendency to eat-away at seals/gaskets/manufacturers films&plastic.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Bottom-line... I just wipe them clean before big trips with water and a soft cloth... I prefer not to put any cleaning agents on my heads if at all possible, as they often have a tendency to eat-away at seals/gaskets/manufacturers films&plastic.
    Agreed -- I clean them with Windex Original Formula usually when i fill up with gas if they look dirty and there aren't too many people at the pumps.

I wonder if windex original formula is okay/safe?
    Last edited by Cauhauna; 07-16-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Agreed -- I clean them with Windex Original Formula usually when i fill up with gas if they look dirty and there aren't too many people at the pumps.

I wonder if windex original formula is okay/safe?
    I keep those windex wipes in the car (Usually buy 4 at a time) and hit the windows/jammers when I fill up. During the day I don't worry about it much but the bugs really come out in the evening. Cops do too

If I've been driving on back roads for a while (bugs seem to be worse when driving through the boonies) I'll clean them on an interstate on ramp.

Speedtrap Crasher

ditto that^ that's what I use. windex wipes.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

Guess I'll just stick to what I've been using then!
    Good old water and a cotton rag.