Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Drive-Smart Defender2 & AL6 Laser Defender not eye safe!

Is it just me or are these high powered laser diodes even eye safe?

Go to this link and it seems both of you guys are using Class 4 lasers! Please tell me I'm wrong! I hope I'm just an idiot.

E. Class 4 (Diffuse Reflection and Fire Hazard)

Class 4 lasers possess the same hazards as Class 3 lasers but, because of their increased beam power (greater than 500 mW), they may also cause injury to the eye when viewing a diffuse reflection. They may present a hazard to the skin and, because of their power density; they may also present a fire hazard. All Class 4 lasers require LURs.
    Both the Drive-Smart and Anti-Laser units use a diode that is much much higher then 500mw. Can both of you guys explain to us how you guys can be using class one lasers with the defintion found in that link?

Anything above class 1 can cause sever problems to the eyes.

JTW

Lead Foot

Default Eye safe

LE-30 uses a 40 watt diode?
    So is this eye safe as well?
    All falls in to class 1

Power User

At the Guys of Lidar test, I was the driver of the test vehicle for most runs of the laser jammer testing. Does this mean all the people I drove towards during all those JTG's from the AL6 protype are going to have eye problems?

I suspect they are eye safe. If not, wouldn't people at the GOL test have developed eye problems by now?

Er, what link?

Anyway, the answer is because the jammer beams are highly divergent, and the energy "pressure" (joules per square centimeter) is fairly low. It's easy for high-powered but highly divergent lasers to meet Class 1M (harmless) requirements, as you'd need a pretty large lens to refocus the beam into something harmful.

Also, the 500mW criterion is only for continuous-wave lasers. Pulsed lasers, such as jammers, use the above energy-divided-by-area equation, so the total wattage of the diode or laser means nothing for us, really.

Hope this clarifies things.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EastGermanOlympicJudge
    Er, what link?

Anyway, the answer is because the jammer beams are highly divergent, and the energy "pressure" (joules per square centimeter) is fairly low. It's easy for high-powered but highly divergent lasers to meet Class 1M (harmless) requirements, as you'd need a pretty large lens to refocus the beam into something harmful.

Also, the 500mW criterion is only for continuous-wave lasers. Pulsed lasers, such as jammers, use the above energy-divided-by-area equation, so the total wattage of the diode or laser means nothing for us, really.

Hope this clarifies things.
    I never ever thought I was say this to you because I hate you :wink: (blinder crap in the past), but thanks for the good info!

You are welcome. It was a good question that deserved a good answer. This board needs more of this kind of discussion. Too much noise otherwise.

Professional

Agreed.

Manufacturer

I happened to use SPF 1000 and sunglasses when watching these jammers in use. :wink:

I believe such equipment must be certified by the FDA for eye safety - for legal operation in the US.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Administrator

Default Eye Safe

I believe such equipment must be certified by the FDA for eye safety
    Yes, it should and that was a concern that several people had at the GoL test if I recall

The earlier model Laser Echo was above limits and they had some major problems
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: Eye Safe

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    I believe such equipment must be certified by the FDA for eye safety
    Yes, it should and that was a concern that several people had at the GoL test if I recall
    Oh yeah we were all worried that our eyesight would suffer
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!