Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default laser in ohio. I see it and 9 times out of 10, slow before I get a laser alert.

I live in ohio, a very heavy laser state (and has been ever since traffic laser came out around 1992).

The biggest user is the ohio highway patrol. Ive dealt with laser for almost 2 decades. 0 tickets by laser (1 ticket via aircraft, another ticket (which I think was meant for a different car) by radar).

OSHP operates white police cruisers, typically parked out in a highway median, as they measure oncoming traffic speeds via laser

And they prefer to measure this way! they would rather get the speeder, not paying attention talking on his/her cellphone.....

I am a very alert driver. 9 out of 10 times I actually see the cruiser, parked in the median with his window down, before I get a laser alert. Id say I have about 2 seconds situational awareness on them before I get an alert. That is enough time to get me slowed down. The only exception to this is when its nighttime, when its more difficult to notice them. However, due to accident-risk, they keep parking lights on.

Sometimes, I can look ahead around a slight curve, and see the edge of their car. Im not yet in position with them, as my direction 'vector' - relative to them, is rapidly changing. However, I did see them and can get slowed down before my direction 'vector' is no longer changing - such that they can get a reading.

This kind of situational awareness, may seem overly simple, but is an effective tool to avoid a laser ticket in ohio.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: laser in ohio. I see it and 9 times out of 10, slow before I get a laser alert.

Yeah, I've traveled through Ohio quite a bit. Not only laser, but X band is very popular there as well. It's definitely a tricky place to drive at times.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: laser in ohio. I see it and 9 times out of 10, slow before I get a laser alert.

It's only a matter of time before one of them figures out that the SAFEST place to shoot from is an on-ramp, where you will never see him. In fact, they're probably already doing it. You just never see them.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

this method wont work with me, im a very paranoid person.

if i speed, im twisting my neck behind me looking at that on-ramp anticipating a cop to be hiding there.

twice in my life, ive caught a cop hiding on the ramp and punched the brakes as I was passing him - before I was directly in the path of his beam (it cant get a reading off the side of your car - has to be front or rear).

One cop was so pissed he pulled out after me rode my bumper for a few miles and then dropped out.

Boy did it scare me.

Yoda of Radar

Come on, Man. If your control was that awesome, you wouldn't be speeding either.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Come on, Man. If your control was that awesome, you wouldn't be speeding either.
    when im amped up on drugs im invincible.

(coffee - caffeine)

Power User

It's only a matter of time before one of them figures out that the SAFEST place to shoot from is an on-ramp, where you will never see him. In fact, they're probably already doing it. You just never see them.
    Heh, Nassau and Suffolk County police over here do that on the LIE. They stay on the on-ramps BEHIND HUGE walls.

Old Timer

I see this all the time, because its where I look for it now. There are a few areas on 675, which you will never see them until it is too late, or you will never see them at all.

A lot will park on the on ramp to the highway, and shoot just under the bridge at you.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    Heh, Nassau and Suffolk County police over here do that on the LIE. They stay on the on-ramps BEHIND HUGE walls.
    I only saw this one time on the Northern but that was NYS Troopers. It was headed westbound right before the split to the meadowbrook, etc He was running Ka band on the on ramp.

Where do you see them doing this? have to check it out

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew21 View Post
    I only saw this one time on the Northern but that was NYS Troopers. It was headed westbound right before the split to the meadowbrook, etc He was running Ka band on the on ramp.

Where do you see them doing this? have to check it out
    I know where that is. Easy to pick up too :P

From what I remember, he is almost ALWAYS on the LIE westbound on the entrance ramp from exit 49 from broadhallow road and also exit 53 in the grass right after the overpass.