Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Visible Laser Jammers - do cops look for them?

ppl have bee tellinjg me that it's better to locate LJs so they are effective and to care less whether they are hidden from view or not. I am now considering attaching them to the grille and the outside of the back bumper so they will be visible.

My question is this: in your collective experiences: what do cops do when you're stopped? Do they look for them? What happens when they see them? Should I really try to hide them in the first place? The reason why I am reluctant to install them hidden is because it would involve cutting slots in the black plastic parts of the front/ back and if I ever had to replace the LJs the new version would probably not fit. I would therefore be better off not cutting out slots.

thanks for the advice!

Professional

Default Re: Visible Laser Jammers - do cops look for them?

Here's the slogan for laser jammer installs:

"Stealth the car, not the install"

Hope that helps! =)

If you get pulled over, just say, hey, it came with the car and shrug!

Yoda of Radar

Well... it all depends on where you live.

If it is where they are legal, and you JTK, you should have no issue.

The whole point of jammers is to not get pulled over... the easiest way to get an officer to stop you wondering what you have is to use it inappropriately (either installed incorrectly "stealth" OR JTGun).

Sometimes, even with JTK, local LEO's will take an interest or a hedge against you... then you might have issues.

Always place the jammer optimally... when your driving by at 30, 40, 50, 65+ the LEO shouldn't be able to tell at all.

really appreciate your advice. what does JT and JTGun stand for? Thanks.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by superlativecritic View Post
    what does JT and JTGun stand for? Thanks.
    It stands for "READ THE FAQ".

Some cops look. Most don't. That's kind of like asking if parents beat their kids. Some do. Some don't. There is no rule. The number who actually know what a jammer looks like, and make an effort to look for them, is extremely small, even in states where they are illegal. Most cops will go an entire career without ever seeing one, so it's not like they are on high alert for them. However, yes, there are a small few tech-geek cops out there who read up on this stuff, just like we have, and are looking. But it is mostly for their own entertainment value, not fo them to try to catch you, since they're not usually illegal anyhow.

If you can achieve stealth of the install without sacrificing any measure of functional stealth, then it's a great thing to be able to do. Just never sacrifice ANY amount of function for looks.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

I was recently stopped in my flatbed because I jammed a LEO's gun. I know I always stand a chance of one pulling out so after the jam I drive the speed limit until I'm absolutely sure he's not on my tail. It was at night and he was on a bike, so he followed me for about a mile with his light off. I knew he was there in the next lane over, the thought crossed my mind to brake and change lanes causing him possibly great bodily harm but of course I would not do that. The idea that I thought it shows you the extent of respect or lack thereof I have for some of the douchrockets we have employed here in our PD. In needing and excuse to stop me he saw that my safety sticker was expired and so he lit me up. He was very disrespectful, arrogant and rude. He continually asked what kind of jammer I was using as he wanted to get one for himself. This makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. I replied that the courts here in Hawaii are dismissing excessive laser acquired speeding tickets because you folks are not properly trained by the manufacturer in their use. I told him he should probably send his antique gun in for calibration or have it repaired, he went off the deep end. At this time his partner showed up and started going around the truck with his flashlight. He yells at his partner, "Yeah, he's got em, they're right here." He continually pushed for the manufacturer and I told him you should get your gun repaired. Now he starts yelling at me and I ask him if I'm free to go. He mummbles something and I repeat the question when he yells back, "Aren't you even paying attention, are you hard of hearing or something?" They're legal here and I don't have to tell them diddly squat. I carry a hidden camera from now on. He never did give me a ticket for the expired safety check.
    Last edited by oahuyahoo; 09-20-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by superlativecritic View Post
    My question is this: in your collective experiences: what do cops do when you're stopped? Do they look for them?
    Depends on the cop. Have they all been identical in your experience? They certainly have not been in mine.
    Last edited by takeshi; 09-21-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Radar Fanatic

i've always thought that the parking sensor excuse was a good one, but I'm not sure how it will hold up out in the field

Radar Fanatic

Got pulled over three times in the last year.Two leos never asked anything and one asked about the front heads.I told him i bought the car like that and that was it.

Newcomer

Got pulled over today by motorcycle leo who said my stereo was too loud. No ticket but he went through the routine. Never even asked about the LI's.