Radar Fanatic

Default State plate reflectivity

i read somewhere that different state plates have different reflectivity with laser. now among those that i saw GA was right up there as one of the most reflective. i was j/w what makes some plates more reflective than others. it really doesnt bother me cuz we dont have to have front plates here but i was j/w.

Radar Fanatic

It probably has to do with the surface area that they have coated with the 3M retroreflective material. Color might play a role but I doubt it's terribly important to a retroreflective plate.

Radar Fanatic

Texas plates are mostly white so its pretty reflective

Newcomer

Default Re: State plate reflectivity

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    i read somewhere that different state plates have different reflectivity with laser. now among those that i saw GA was right up there as one of the most reflective. i was j/w what makes some plates more reflective than others. it really doesnt bother me cuz we dont have to have front plates here but i was j/w.
    On a highly illegal note, has anybody ever bothered to strip the 3M Reflective coat and repaint the plate so it looks factory fresh, just non-reflective?

edited: I also found some websites that can make replica state plates. They're aluminum, stamped, and should be almost indistinguishable. Since the front plates don't even require registration stickers, does anybody think replacing the front plate with one that lacks the 3m coating would help in reducing lidar cross-section?

Radar Fanatic

Do a search for "replica plates" or something similar and you will get results. It has been discussed, and I believe even tested.

Speed Demon

You might think that "touching up" weather or sand (hint) damaged paint on plates with Rustoleum or similar could achieve fantastic results, and you'd be right. Even bright white is an improvement as long as it's not the 3M reflective type! I wouldn't trust a replica plate to pass scrutiny, especially if it's not even metal. If anyone says anything (which they won't if you do it right), just tell them you like to keep your car pretty This works particularly well in states where plate covers aren't even allowed. If there's a halogram, you'll have to skirt around it but can then cover it with some thick clearcoat or poly. I've seen one where the road grime and dead bugs were all cleared in place. Guy claimed it worked great but it sure was gross.

One of my other hobbies is scale models, I use this stuff to give paint that worn look...

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1382

Haven't done any sort of testing besides taking flash photos with my digital camera at night, but it definitely makes the plate less reflective. Over time the Dullcote peels off and forms a sort of flakey crust.