Good Citizen

Default A crazy thought but might be doable for head mounting, Retractable heads

I was going to the hobby store today and as I was coming out I passed a older model Volvo the ones with the headlight wipers and a pop up headlight sprayer that sprays windshield washer fluid on them. My thought was this. Yo cut out notches on the bumper buily a small platform that would hold the heads and elevate and lock in place think James bond and when not in place would lower. It doesnt have to be that big of a platform and Gyros from a Radio controlled model could be used. Iy would be a little trial and error to be sure, But it something that would indeed Stealth the ride and the install. Oll try to find pictures of something similiar to what im talking about. But must car bumpers do have space for such a thing I believe IT'll take some work, im sorry Im not that good of a fabricator to do a mock up but jopefully someone gets my drift.

Good Citizen

Default Re: A crazy thought but might be doable for head mounting, Retractable heads

Oh, and another reason I thought about this was because a buddy of mine bought a Hyundai Sonata/ And although he isnt into radar/ Counter Measures i just thought with car designs getting so wild Jammer heads although rare to the General Public, would stand out on such cars even more than with the designs of the past.

Default Re: A crazy thought but might be doable for head mounting, Retractable heads

i think the easiest way to hide the heads would be to purchase swift motorsports hideaway plate. i used to have it for my front plate and it works great. motorized by a remote on your keychain. just cut in the heads or attach to the plate portion and your good to go!

Radar Fanatic

Radar Busters used to sell a stealth mounting kit that used actuators to pop the jammers up or down. You could certainly buy some actuators and hook something up yourself. It would take some work to figure it out and likely cost a couple hundred if you wanted it to survive the elements.

Lead Foot

i actually found those actuators online, and was measuring out the same thing you were talking about, a pop up system that came out of the top of my bumper under the grill. unfortunately i have too much reenforcement there to actually cut into anything

Professional

I suspect that most people will find too much reinforcement to hide anything in the bumper. You would probably be better off trying to put it in the grille. Perhaps the grille could be cur in a way to make a hinged facade, like the door on some CD ROM drives.

One of the bigger challenges would be to make sure that your heads stay in perfect alignment, despite the fact that the have to be moved to and from their forward position repeatedly. It may even be worth it to use air cylinders with a small compressor and air tank to make the whole thing move. It seems like each car is a custom job, and there are so few of these out there that it would be hard to make model specific install kits. You'd never see ROI. It could be fun to do though.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by goodcopbadcop View Post
    i think the easiest way to hide the heads would be to purchase swift motorsports hideaway plate. i used to have it for my front plate and it works great. motorized by a remote on your keychain. just cut in the heads or attach to the plate portion and your good to go!
    I kind of like this idea too, because the head does not actually move. There are a few issues that would have to be worked out though:

- This being on the front of your car, the actuator has to be strong enough to stay open with strong wind resistance. Maybe a locking mechanism would do.
    - Most people will want at least two heads up front. Dual plates maybe?
    - The head should not be recessed into the front of the car. The last thing you want is to eclipse the sensor.

If you can find a custom front bumper cover that could be modified to take two of these things in their proper location, you really might have something here. What I like especially is that there are few moving parts, so this could be very reliable.
    Last edited by switch626; 04-12-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Experienced

Why do the stealth actuators make the heads retract upwards? It should be that you have the heads forwards and if you need to hide them they retract backwards. I thought about fabricating something for my car to do this, but it is hard enough with my grill to mount the heads, nowhere really to do this.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by The Stigs Cousin View Post
    Why do the stealth actuators make the heads retract upwards? It should be that you have the heads forwards and if you need to hide them they retract backwards. I thought about fabricating something for my car to do this, but it is hard enough with my grill to mount the heads, nowhere really to do this.
    If your looking at the ones I'm looking at you can do that.