Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tape Chrome?

Lead Foot

Default Tape Chrome?

Just wondering, for a car with lots of chrome up front/ on grill. Does anyone ever recommend taping it over with black painters tape?? I thought this would be an easy way to prevent readings.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Tape Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringz4life View Post
    Just wondering, for a car with lots of chrome up front/ on grill. Does anyone ever recommend taping it over with black painters tape?? I thought this would be an easy way to prevent readings.
    it would make sense to me... if you have this issue we can meet up and i can shoot you, we can try before and after.

do you have any jammers? LI's it prolly wouldnt matter..

Radar Fanatic

I never thought of it,but would be interesting to see the results.

Advanced Member

Chrome isn't that reflective to InfaRed light so it really isn't a big issue that you might think it is

Licence plates are far more reflective

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    Chrome isn't that reflective to InfaRed light so it really isn't a big issue that you might think it is

Licence plates are far more reflective
    hey rob, are there things that prevent the license plate from reflecting but don't obstruct ability to read plate?

Good Citizen

Even if you were driving a flat mirror on wheels, this wouldn't make the car an "easy" laser target. It has been said here before, but most of the laser energy would simply be reflected in another direction in stead of back into the gun. For a flat mirror there is only one position that reflects the laser energy back into the gun, from all other positions, this car would be impossible to laser.

The real problem areas are retro-reflecting surfaces (License plates and "real" reflectors). Per definition, a retro reflecting surface reflects light back to its source. If it is a high quality reflector, the scatter (losses) will be low. (for example most reflectors on the back of a car) A license plate is a lower quality reflector, but it is still extremely much better than any normal painted or chrome surface.

The other “danger” areas are rounded surfaces. (For example edges around headlights, the rounded surface of the back of a car mirror etc.) When a laser strikes a rounded surface, almost all of the energy will be reflected in the wrong direction, but there will always be a few spots that reflect the laser light straight back into the laser gun.

The third type of surface reflects light very diffuse (scattered), normal painted surfaces for example. The laser hits any area of that surface, and the reflection goes everywhere. (including some of it back to the laser gun). The color of those surfaces is also an important factor. The color white or many shades of the color red reflect near IR very good, colors like green, black and brown are bad reflectors. Also metallic paints behave different. I think for metallic paints the color is a smaller factor in reflectivity. (But I am not sure about this, because I never tested it.)

So what to do?

If you have a camera with a flash that has manual settings, take pictures of your car from a pretty large distance from a few angles, and UNDER expose the pictures a lot. If you have a camera that can record near infrared. (The old Sony cameras with night shot and infrared LEDs are perfect), then the pictures are even more usable. The best setup is an infrared modified digital camera combined with an infrared LED (880nm) illuminator.

Upload the pictures in Photoshop, enhance the contrast and you will see the hotspots of your car perfectly. That’s where you apply veil or any other IR blocking material.

I will upload some test pictures of my cars in the weekend.
    Last edited by fulcrum; 07-15-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
    Even if you were driving a flat mirror on wheels, this wouldn't make the car an "easy" laser target. It has been said here before, but most of the laser energy would simply be reflected in another direction in stead of back into the gun. For a flat mirror there is only one position that reflects the laser energy back into the gun, from all other positions, this car would be impossible to laser.

The real problem areas are retro-reflecting surfaces (License plates and "real" reflectors). Per definition, a retro reflecting surface reflects light back to its source. If it is a high quality reflector, the scatter (losses) will be low. (for example most reflectors on the back of a car) A license plate is a lower quality reflector, but it is still extremely much better than any normal painted or chrome surface.

The other “danger” areas are rounded surfaces. (For example edges around headlights, the rounded surface of the back of a car mirror etc.) When a laser strikes a rounded surface, almost all of the energy will be reflected in the wrong direction, but on a rounded surface there will always be a few spots that reflect the laser light straight back into the laser gun.

The third type of surface reflects light very diffuse (scattered), normal painted surfaces for example. The laser hits any area of that surface, and the reflection goes everywhere. (including some of it back to the laser gun). The color of those surfaces is also an important factor. The color white or many shades of the color red reflect near IR very good, colors like green, black and brown are bad reflectors. Also metallic paints behave different. I think for metallic paints the color is a smaller factor in reflectivity. (I am not sure about this however, because I never tested it.

So what to do?

If you have a camera with a flash that has manual settings, take pictures of your car from a pretty large distance from a few angles, and UNDER expose the pictures a lot. If you have a camera that can record near infrared. (The old Sony cameras with night shot and infrared LEDs are perfect), then the pictures are even more usable. The best setup is an infrared modified digital camera combined with an infrared LED (880nm) illuminator.

Upload the pictures in Photoshop, enhance the contrast and you will see the hotspots of your car perfectly. That’s where you apply veil or any other IR blocking material.

I will upload some test pictures of my cars in the weekend.
    big help, makes sense.

Radar Fanatic

The other “danger” areas are rounded surfaces. (For example edges around headlights, the rounded surface of the back of a car mirror etc.) When a laser strikes a rounded surface, almost all of the energy will be reflected in the wrong direction, but on a rounded surface there will always be a few spots that reflect the laser light straight back into the laser gun.
    A little lost check the bold above in the quote.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by voyager7 View Post

A little lost check the bold above in the quote.
    You're right ............ Changed it. (But is's ok, my Dutch would probably be more unreadable for most here. )
    Last edited by fulcrum; 07-15-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Professional

There's a video where someone was shooting a Nissan titan with LI's. he had a ton of chrome up front. Didn't affect the jammers at all. It was JTG from straight shots.