Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Question Stealth the install? (Tx)

I drive a black 2003 ford mustang gt and Ive been lurking on yalls forum for a week now reading threads and sticky. I really would like to install a set Of LI on my car but as you well know jammers are illegal in Texas.

Ive seen a few post from people saying to hide the heads to prevent LEO's from seeing them and avoiding a $500 ticket, but I read that if you do put your heads behind a honey comb grill it will greatly reduce the LI from working properly.

So my question is take the chance and install the head the right way outside the grill for maximum protection, or stealth the install and take the risk of the jammer not working?

What model of LIs would the forum recommend for front protection on my mustang? If pics of the front end of my car are needed I can get them, I do run a front license plate also.

Thanks

Good Citizen

Default Re: Stealth the install? (Tx)

I can guarantee you installing behind grills and wire mesh will significantly reduce the ability of the equipment in protecting you, I'd find some other way around this.

Newcomer

Ill have to mount them out in the open then, I dont see another option.

How can I find out what local PD, sheriff, and state troopers use to get vehicles speed? I found a old sticky date 2009 what my city uses and it said K band but I like to know what they all use.

One would be well served to presume they use everything!

Cliff
    Last edited by Laser-InterceptorUSA; 10-24-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Good Citizen

Black car with black heads. You should be ok. Paint the screw heads black once you are finshed testing. then just DO NOT JTG and you should be ok.
    Plus don't drive in Plano.

Newcomer

Thanks, I live in east Texas so I doubt Ill be around Plano anytime soon. I got a spot on the bumper I want to mount the heads where they would blend in with the car and not be seen unless you really look for them. Its low where I want to mount them but I heard that LI heads have 18in of coverage so if thats true then I should be fine.

Newcomer

I'm not sure what the 18" of coverage refers to but most folks on here have a preference for installing the two heads fairly close to the headlights. Apparently, the two headlights and the license plate are the favorite targets of the LEOs and in that order so I hear. The laser beam gets larger with distance so the closer you are to the gun, the smaller the beam. A fairly typical distance seems to be about a thousand feet and the diameter of the laser beam is probably about two feet at that distance (I'm guessing). If the traffic is super heavy the typical distance will be less.

My wife and I are both protected by LI and we both drive a fair amount around Houston and the surrounding area. We only get "lasered" once or twice per year (each) so it doesn't seem to be a really big problem here. It may also depend on what part of town we usually travel in (west side).

Be sure to always slow down quickly and then power off the jammer ASAP to avoid calling attention to yourself, especially now that they are illegal to be operating.

Hope this helps you..............

Good Citizen

Im am curious about one thing. Most cars espically the Mustang have a variety of aftermarket grills and body kits for them. My question is has many people used this to their advantage to find find placement and stealth Solutions?

Newcomer

Go stealth!

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Stealth the car, not the install. 2 LI heads will kick butt.