Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Talking General Laser Detection & ZR3 Optimal Install Questions

Hey All,

I have a silver Mitsubishi Eclipse. I'm wondering how the color and the shape of the car will work to my advantage(disadvantage) when being shot with laser. I don't think the shape/color of cars has much impact with k/ka radar but if that's not the case please correct me there too! Is silver a good color for the laser evader? What about the shape of my car?

Also, where should I put my 2 front shifters? Would they be best above the maroon arrow or the green one (and of course the drivers-side equivalents)? I am thinking they'd be best tucked as high up and as far towards the front as possible above the green arrow. Do you guys see a better spot? If you do think they'd be best where I think, how far apart should they be on that piece of my bumper? I'd mount them both to the top edge of that air intake. Should I angle them slightly to get better coverage or should they just be dead-straight and level? Should I cough up the $250 extra for the ZR4 shifters or are they not worth it? I read the only difference is the shifting of Laser Atlanta which isn't that popular.

I would appreciate any thoughts. I am new to this and want the most out of my system but also want to learn it's limitations.

Good Citizen

Default Re: General Laser Detection & ZR3 Optimal Install Questions

I would do green, red looks too hard to mount at.

Also silver is a terrible color for laser protection, but you have a really sloped/rounded front so it's going to create issues for a laser gun to get enough reflection.

Are you sure you don't want better laser protection than a ZR3? (Blinder or LI?)

RadarBusters Associate

I tried mounting some Jammers over the summer on an eclipse, its not an easy job. Defiantly mount where the green arrow is, an advantage that the eclipse has is that the grill plate is back far enough to where you can mount the jammers in front of it and they will still be hidden.

Newcomer

GreenRadar: Did you end up putting them where I think would be best? Should they be facing straight forward or slightly to the sides? I'd love to see a pic of the finished install on the Eclipse if you can get one.

verymanywelps: No, I'm not totally sure I want the ZR4. The main thing that attracts me to them is the integration with my radar detector. I looked at the Blinder M27's and they seem like the most bang for the buck. Maybe marginally worse than the LI jammers but $200 less. I am wondering though if I need a whole new set of controls if I do that. Can I just mount the main control box behind my dash for the Blinders and have them automatically turn on with the car so I never have to worry about it? Do they have a little button on a wire that I can press to turn the jammers off like the ZR4's? On their website it looks like they might come with this but would like to make sure. My main concern is having to have a whole nother box accessible somewhere in my car. My detector and a button for the jammers is the ideal setup. Can the Blinders do this?

LEVEL to the ground and both DIRECTLY STRAIGHT out the front of the car.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    GreenRadar: Did you end up putting them where I think would be best? Should they be facing straight forward or slightly to the sides? I'd love to see a pic of the finished install on the Eclipse if you can get one.

verymanywelps: No, I'm not totally sure I want the ZR4. The main thing that attracts me to them is the integration with my radar detector. I looked at the Blinder M27's and they seem like the most bang for the buck. Maybe marginally worse than the LI jammers but $200 less. I am wondering though if I need a whole new set of controls if I do that. Can I just mount the main control box behind my dash for the Blinders and have them automatically turn on with the car so I never have to worry about it? Do they have a little button on a wire that I can press to turn the jammers off like the ZR4's? On their website it looks like they might come with this but would like to make sure. My main concern is having to have a whole nother box accessible somewhere in my car. My detector and a button for the jammers is the ideal setup. Can the Blinders do this?
    What detector are you using (STI-R+? 3600?)?

How much are you paying for the laser bit?

LI is unmatched and Blinder is close. ZR3/4 have gaping holes in the protection envelopes....

Newcomer

I have a 9500ix that I keep on highway mode. I think you have convinced me into getting Blinders. From what you're saying it seems that the ZR3/4's might not be very useful in an encounter. I can get Blinders for the price of the ZR4's and as far as integration it seems that no matter what I get I can hide everything but the off switch.

Radar Fanatic

No dont go zr anything Go Li or blinder.....

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by verymanywelps View Post
    ........ but you have a really sloped/rounded front so it's going to create issues for a laser gun to get enough reflection.
    Really? Are you sure ?
    Last edited by fulcrum; 11-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.

RadarBusters Associate

installed them right where the green arrows are pointing, one on each side. I'm not talking to the person who I did the install for any more so unfortunately I won't be able to get pics.