Good Citizen

Default Why wouldn't someone buy?

I was just kind of curious, since laser jammers are able to be such an efficient counter measure, why would someone decide not to buy one?
    Besides not having the money to afford one.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Why wouldn't someone buy?

1) legality

2) operation (you need to shut them off while being shot at)

3) INSTALL

Quote Originally Posted by verymanywelps View Post
    1) legality

3) INSTALL
    Is your answer to #2 correct? I mean, Blinder M27s jam for 7sec (on default settings) before going into a 60sec auto-off mode to avoid JTG. So if I'm right, a user would not have to worry about manually shutting them off during an attack.

Adding to the list of Why Not, even though in my state there is no prohibition on jammers, many feel that using them could exacerbate the likelihood of having a negative experience if stopped by the cops. They feel it's akin to an admission of guilt, and an irritant to cops

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Chaadster View Post
    1) legality

3) INSTALL
    Is your answer to #2 correct? I mean, Blinder M27s jam for 7sec (on default settings) before going into a 60sec auto-off mode to avoid JTG. So if I'm right, a user would not have to worry about manually shutting them off during an attack.

Adding to the list of Why Not, even though in my state there is no prohibition on jammers, many feel that using them could exacerbate the likelihood of having a negative experience if stopped by the cops. They feel it's akin to an admission of guilt, and an irritant to cops
    I don't think that's a good idea as 7 secs is a LONG time. I'd rather just shut off when I hit PSL.

Good Citizen

1) legality

3) INSTALL
    BAD idea...
    What happens if you are attacked at 5-700ft?
    7 seconds is a long time...use the proper jtk tactic or you will find them soon become illegal in your state also.

To answer the original question at hand;
    I had to debate my LI purchase simply because the lack of lidar inforcement in my area.
    The last couple years I average one or two hits a year...
    Last edited by SHOtime2511; 11-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Newcomer

All it takes is one time and the cost of fine/insurance will amount to the price of a LJ...On the other side of things... one successful encounter pays for the LJ... I think the question here is... do I drive above the PSL and if so, do I want to take the risk of "getting lucky" or do I want a better chance than not of "being lucky".. As a famous quote quoted... "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

Radar Fanatic

Most people are concerned about legality.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOtime2511 View Post
    1) legality

3) INSTALL
    BAD idea...
    What happens if you are attacked at 5-700ft?
    7 seconds is a long time...use the proper jtk tactic or you will find them soon become illegal in your state also.

To answer the original question at hand;
    I had to debate my LI purchase simply because the lack of lidar inforcement in my area.
    The last couple years I average one or two hits a year...
    Well the jam time is adjustable on the M27s, so I suppose there may be a more ideal duration that's a few seconds shorter, but really--and I'm assuming jammer operation in states were it is legal--isn't the ultimate goal to avoid allowing the cop to get a reading until you slow to PSL? In reality, what happens for a few seconds after you hit PSL doesn't really matter, does it? Sure, MAYBE the cop will pull you over because they're pissed, or MAYBE your jam might be the straw that breaks the camel's back and sets off jammer ban legislation, but that's all speculative. What is not speculative is the absence of an overspeed reading on the gun from which to write a citation. No reading, no speeding, right?

Or do I not know what I'm talking about here?

I dig that we all want the jam to be as stealthy as possible to avoid unwanted attention, but ultimately, is having a jammer any different than having a detector in the window?

Good Citizen

Detectors are simply a passive measure to avoid tickets.
    IMO actually jamming a lidar gun is pushing it due to the whole "interfering with a LEO in there lawful duty" issue.
    All it takes is a few officers complaining the the chief or whomever about people jamming lidar,cops come here and other places around the web and read up on all these people with jammers. Chief complains to mayors,state representatives/senators and someone introduces a bill in your state house,thats all it takes.
    A bill banning lidar jamming is going to be a much easier sell than a bill banning radar detectors.

An aware drive should be able to slow to the PSL and JTK in a matter of 2-3 seconds unless you are doing 130+.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOtime2511 View Post
    Detectors are simply a passive measure to avoid tickets.
    IMO actually jamming a lidar gun is pushing it due to the whole "interfering with a LEO in there lawful duty" issue.
    All it takes is a few officers complaining the the chief or whomever about people jamming lidar,cops come here and other places around the web and read up on all these people with jammers. Chief complains to mayors,state representatives/senators and someone introduces a bill in your state house,thats all it takes.
    A bill banning lidar jamming is going to be a much easier sell than a bill banning radar detectors.

An aware drive should be able to slow to the PSL and JTK in a matter of 2-3 seconds unless you are doing 130+.
    Like I said, I get that speculative stuff, but to say "all it takes is a few" complaints and ban legislation gets passed is just not true. How long have laser jammers been on the market? 10 years? 15?

And do you think cops are idiots and have no idea that when they can't get a reading like normal, that they're being jammed? No complaints from them in the past 10 years? I take it for granted when every other car yields a reading in a fraction of a second, and mine doesn't for 3seconds, the LEOs gonna know what's up. Same story at five seconds, or 7; I'm having a hard time imagining what the difference of a few seconds will make in the outcome, but am pretty clear on what "no reading" means in the context of a speeding ticket.

I guess my point is that if someone is legally operating a "jammer," and the cop can't write you an overspeed ticket, then that jammer has done it's job. If a cop wants to pull you over and hassle you because he couldn't get a reading is no different than a cop wanting to pull you over and hassle you because you slammed on the brakes and went to PSL when your detector alerted, or because he didn't like your window tint, your exhaust was too loud, or because you look like a sketchy dude.

If a cop wants to f**k with people, he's gonna pull them over and find a way to f**k with them, and the "you were jamming me" excuse seems as likely as any other to me. This forum is filled with stories about "confused" LEOs staring at their guns inability to get a reading, but there are far fewer stories about being pulled over and harassed and slapped with "interference of duty" citations. I'm not saying it hasn't or doesn't happen, just that the concern is out of proportion to the reality, it seems.

I definitely get that 7 seconds of jamming might be too long, but on the grounds that it's unnecessary to take that long reaching the PSL, not because 7 seconds is the magic timespan at which cops get pissed and the legislature swings into action.