Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laser jammer vs RD in my state

According to the what bands are used where list (which hasn't been updated in well over a year btw) almost 1/3 of the cities listed in my state use laser exclusively, and almost all the rest use radar at least some of the time. Is it even worth it to get a radar detector anymore? I imagine within 5 years it's probably going to be all laser and I will have wasted an awful lot of money considering even right now I've got a 1/3 chance of being screwed even if I could respond to radars with 100% efficiency.

Better to save up money for a laser jammer?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Laser jammer vs RD in my state

Radar will be around for many years. To many units already in use and it works very well, especially in places like Oklahoma. Troopers can get all the speeders they want with moving IO radar.

I would love to believe that but I guess I'm just a skeptic. My thoughts for now are stay within 5-10mph of the limit, and save up the $1000 for a LI and then another $400 for a retractable housing.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I don't doubt your statement. But I guess my brain just works that way. I doubt a lot of things that are probably true. But dude, look at the list!

Apple Valley: MPH Enforcer, Ka Band 33.8, Pro Laser III shooting north bound traffic on Cedar AVE and 142nd street
    Apple Valley: Pro Laser III: Laser
    Baxter: Laser
    Bemidji: Laser
    Benton County: Laser
    Blaine: Laser
    Bloomington: Laser
    Burnsville: Stalker ATR, Ka Band 34.7
    Carver County: Stalker 34.7, Kustom 35.5, PLIII, X band...(Encountered blue fully marked Crown Victoria on 11/1/2008 traveling East HWY 312 at cross road HWY 41 utilizing C/O X Band, Unknown which jurisdiction.), K
    Chisago County: Laser
    Cottage Grove: K, Laser
    Deephaven: Stalker 34.7, PLIII
    Eagan: Laser
    Eden Prairie: Ka(35.5 Kustom), K, Pro Laser III
    Excelsior: Ka, K band (rear antennas), Prolaser III
    Faribault: Laser
    Fridley: Laser
    Hopkins: KA, K
    Lakeville: K, Ka, Laser
    Long Lake: Ka
    Mankato: K, Laser
    Maplewood: Laser
    Martin County: Laser
    Medina: Laser
    Minnetonka: KA(35.5 Kustom), K, Pro Laser III
    Minnetonka Beach: Ka
    Nobles County: Laser
    Orono: KA, K
    Ramsey County: K, Ka (IO) and laser.
    Red Wing: Ka
    Richfield: KA
    Rochester: Laser (PL III), Ka 35.5
    Roseville: K, Ka and laser.
    Savage: K
    Shakopee: Ka (Kustom Signals/Decatur 35.500Mhz), K band CO
    South St. Paul: Laser
    Spring Park: Ka
    St. Paul: K, Ka and laser.
    State Patrol: Ka (Stalker 34.7, Golden Eagle 35.5), Laser (PLIII)
    Twin Cities: Kustom Pro Lite on 94N/Lowry Ave.
    Waite Park: Laser
    Worthington: Laser (PL3)
    and that's over a year old.
    Last edited by napthalene; 08-14-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by napthalene View Post
    I would love to believe that but I guess I'm just a skeptic. My thoughts for now are stay within 5-10mph of the limit, and save up the $1000 for a LI and then another $400 for a retractable housing.
    And get a ticket from some old out dated radar gun. To each their own, we all have to make our own choices about what to run and our budget. Luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    And get a ticket from some old out dated radar gun. To each their own, we all have to make our own choices about what to run and our budget. Luck to you.
    Did you look at the list of radar bands (more of a laser type list :P)?
    If you lived there would you still buy a radar detector? Probably the pro 78se? Also I've heard cobra sucks the big pen0r. True?
    Last edited by napthalene; 08-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Experienced

Location, Location, Location. I suppose if I lived in a high use laser zone I wouldn't have two RD's and no laser cm. I believe more Lidar isn't that far away, but for me, and in my area of travel, its 99% Ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Location, Location, Location. I suppose if I lived in a high use laser zone I wouldn't have two RD's and no laser cm. I believe more Lidar isn't that far away, but for me, and in my area of travel, its 99% Ka.
    Maybe I should ask someone around here with a detector what they get hit with the most.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Maybe I should ask someone around here with a detector what they get hit with the most.
    You have lost the concept of protection. It is not about MOST, it is about ONCE. You have to be right all the time, LEO has to be right once.
    It seems you already made up your mind so go with it. Hell there are still depts. that run way old X band units.
    I guess this is why I run V1, Sti-R, Galaxy 919, bearcat scanner, and Blinder 47 all on front. You have to be ready for what comes, not what you think will happen.

You know what, just because it looks nice I'll get a pro 78se. Conversation starter for people that don't even know they exist when they ride along. Where's a good place to hide it when you park your car so you don't piss off any LEOs or get it stolen?
    Are cobra radar detectors ****ty? I heard they are, but I'm here because I don't know.