Thread: need help

Newcomer

Default need help

I posted almost a year ago on a laser ticket I got for 119 MPH (185 KPH). I already mentioned I was speeding but don't know actually know my speed. I want to contest and would appreciate any help in this direction. Please don't tell me to shut up and pay, or get a laser...I finally got a laser from LI, works super

Finally received the court summons for Mar, 2013. Cop was off on side of the road about 10 feet and says he clocked me at 257 metres (843 ft) with an UltraLyte LT 100. He says first reading was 181 (112 MPH) and then 185 KPH (119 MPH)
    Was in a black convertible R8, with top down.
    I took out measurements and the big sign is 613 ft from where cop was. 843 feet where he zapped me brings me close to the 2nd white post.

It is likely that he shot me over the guard rail and maybe even under the big sign.
    I passed a volks on the right side (I know) so I was hugging the guard rail.

Anyone see something that can cause an interference or help me out
    Attached Images Attached Images

RadarBusters Associate

Default Re: need help

a little out of my league, but you can always see if you can get info on the exact gun used

Radar Fanatic

You were rockn' through that turn!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by NormSky View Post
    You were rockn' through that turn!
    Not one of my bright moments

Newcomer

Happens to the best of us and that's why we're here.

Have you considered "Pointts?" We have them here in Ontario to fight tickets for you and they know all this stuff inside and out. Perhaps there is a Quebec based version. With that kind of a ticket, you're probably talking careless or racing (Stunt Driving in Ontario) and who knows what else he got you with. Might be worth spending the money. Worst case, they negotiate the ticket down to something that you don't lose your license over.

Next step would be a good lawyer...Good luck and keep us posted on how this goes.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Racky View Post
    Happens to the best of us and that's why we're here.

Have you considered "Pointts?" We have them here in Ontario to fight tickets for you and they know all this stuff inside and out. Perhaps there is a Quebec based version. With that kind of a ticket, you're probably talking careless or racing (Stunt Driving in Ontario) and who knows what else he got you with. Might be worth spending the money. Worst case, they negotiate the ticket down to something that you don't lose your license over.

Next step would be a good lawyer...Good luck and keep us posted on how this goes.
    Am meeting with a lawyer this Friday, but form what I understand the prosecutor's don't negotiate for what is called "Excessive speeding"
    They also have those specialized services that take care of speeding tickets, but from having talked to them they specialize more in negotiating lowering points and those I called do not have access to an expert in laser.
    However, they may be more specialized in Ontario
    Thanks for the info

Newcomer

Understood. A lawyer would be your best bet then and you are on the right track. This has obviously crossed the tracks from Traffic Court to Criminal court due to the speeds I would imagine?

Hopefully members here can still give some opinions/history as to what they might have done or have heard done in getting out of Laser convictions. There must be more than a few here that have had to fight that fight! Any more info or tools that your lawyer can get can't hurt.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Racky View Post
    Understood. A lawyer would be your best bet then and you are on the right track. This has obviously crossed the tracks from Traffic Court to Criminal court due to the speeds I would imagine?

Hopefully members here can still give some opinions/history as to what they might have done or have heard done in getting out of Laser convictions. There must be more than a few here that have had to fight that fight! Any more info or tools that your lawyer can get can't hurt.
    Would love to hear any comments from anyone who has past experiences or suggestions

Advanced Member

Given your speed, lack of traffic and the fact that he took two measurements from a relatively close range its going to be hard to discredit that evidence. Your best result will be to engage a lawyer specializing in traffic cases and local to the jurisdiction. Good luck

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf View Post
    Given your speed, lack of traffic and the fact that he took two measurements from a relatively close range its going to be hard to discredit that evidence. Your best result will be to engage a lawyer specializing in traffic cases and local to the jurisdiction. Good luck
    Can't argue that it is going to be difficult. I am looking at the possibility that having taken his reading going over a guard rail or close to a large sign might have led to some light deflection on one of the beams and that the reading was affected by this