Newcomer

Default Where to mount for RS7 grille?

I've had LI for a long time and now decided I want to try ALP! In my Audis, I've had grilles with horizontal slats so easy to hide the sensor in the slat.

I am having an RS7 grille installed on my car. What is better placement? Behind the honeycomb grill next to the headlights (RED COLOR and I will not cut grille) or near the fog light (GREEN COLOR) or near the bottom grille (yellow color)? I am leaning towards behind the grille.

Thanks for your input

I asked a guy on the audi forums b/c I saw his ALPs were behind the grille and he told me this: "Worked well for me. I only actually "used" it twice in the 2 years I had that car. Many more detections just no protection warranted. I'm an EE, to me the argument that the grill blocked the abilities never sat well.

Here's my reasoning: I find laser is predominantly hitting me from over 1000 feet out. They get me well down the road. Also predominantly they are not far from the road edge. So the angle of incident light is only a few degrees off from straight on. The laser sensors behind the grill have a clear line of sight (and return path) to anything except a strong side angle, certainly a clear view of LEO on the shoulder adjacent the road at 1000+ feet. So... grill is a non-factor for long straight shoulder lurkers, over pass LEO (on or under), hill crest scenarios, exit rampers, or center/median pass through lurkers.

If you get hit going around a tight curve, you may have reduced effectiveness as the angle of incidence will likely be greater. You can do some simple math to figure out how tight a radius you'd be safe on based on grill dimensions and sensor placement. "

Attached Images Attached Images

Newcomer

Default Re: Where to mount for RS7 grille?

I can't get picture to show for some reason. Here it is: http://s30.postimg.org/uzpnak2q9/laser.jpg

Newcomer

Any thoughts because my grille is coming soon!

Lol sorry guess this forum deletes posts with attachments from Tapatalk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut the grill. That's the only way..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk