Well I traveled up to Radar Roy's place yesterday to test my setup against four of his LIDAR guns (Laser Atlanta Speed Laser, Kustom ProLite, LTI Ultralyte, and the Stalker LZ-1). Thanks again Roy, I really had a great time! This test was mainly for fun but I also wanted to see how my setup performed and not just take someone's word for it.
As you can see in my profile, I drive a large metallic silver sedan but in spite of this, the ZR4's were very effective against all but the Stalker (big surprise). I did record a few of the runs but they were pretty shaky. I will crop them and post in this thread as soon as I can. In the mean time here are my "amateur" results:
Laser Atlanta = 3 runs: 3/3 JTG; 3/3 JFG
Kustom ProLite = 4 runs: 3/4 JTG (1 PT @ approximately 200'); 2/2 JFG
LTI Ultralyte = 4 runs: 4/4 JTG ***Edited***
Stalker LZ-1 = 4 runs: 4/4 PT @ approximately 800'; 0/4 JFG
My random thoughts from this experience are as follows:
1) First and foremost, this was a lot more fun than I expected it to be
2) The ZR4's work well enough (on my car) to give me solid piece of mind that I'm protected against LIDAR guns in use in my area.
3) Laser detection was lightning quick (even though it announced "POP alert" )
4) Although there are jammers that perform better, the ZR4's are usefull...no regrets buying this unit!
5) Holding the gun steady while recording is waaaay tougher than I thought it would be!
6) If I encounter a Stalker with my ZR4's, I'm toast...period dot!