Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Re: Three heads on front

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
    The wife just avoided another laser based ticket a couple of days ago and she is still running on only one ZR4 system (one system is not powered on until I see how two of them do at the meet). I'm really puzzeled that both of us have managed to survive every laser encounter in the past year since the ZR4s are reputed to be "not the best".
    I'm happy you and your wife have had success with your setups and have not gotten any tickets.

Looking at your car now, it does seem like the majority of it is black which is a good thing. Just out of curiosity, have you or your wife been hit by an "ambush style" laser trap such as this one?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGrb5bUWGT0]YouTube - HPD PL3 HIT because I JTK'd too soon[/ame]
    Sorry to see that you picked up a "fast driving award" If it's still pending, be sure to get a lawyer to "fix" it. That's what the wife was doing before we got the jammers.

Yes, probably 25% of encounters are on I-10 and usually the officer is in the inside breakdown area and appears to be shooting the "hammer lane" and has one or two chase cars waiting to chase a violater down. 75% of encounters are on city streets and HPD car(s) are parked on a side street and the shooter is standing on the corner aiming down the street.

I have not been overly concerned with shutting the ZR4 jammer off quickly because I keep reading that the shooter will get a speed reading pretty quickly anyway. It's odd that the shooter continues to hold the gun at eye level until I am right on top of him and that's with the ZR4. It really seems as though the ZR4 is able to JTG pretty easily with the guns the local guys are using.

Since I installed the LI dual on my car, I have to be more aware of the need to shut the LI off as soon as I get slowed down. No encounter yet on my new install.

I have yet to see any officer shooting the rear. Most of the wife and I driving is on the west side of Houston. We drive down to Rosharon for the skydiving activities and she drives to Katy a fair amount showing houses to clients.

I bought several cases of bottled water for the meet. I'll pick up something for snacks this weekend. Preferences, anyone?

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
    Sorry to see that you picked up a "fast driving award" If it's still pending, be sure to get a lawyer to "fix" it. That's what the wife was doing before we got the jammers.

Yes, probably 25% of encounters are on I-10 and usually the officer is in the inside breakdown area and appears to be shooting the "hammer lane" and has one or two chase cars waiting to chase a violater down. 75% of encounters are on city streets and HPD car(s) are parked on a side street and the shooter is standing on the corner aiming down the street.

Since I installed the LI dual on my car, I have to be more aware of the need to shut the LI off as soon as I get slowed down. No encounter yet on my new install.

I have yet to see any officer shooting the rear. Most of the wife and I driving is on the west side of Houston. We drive down to Rosharon for the skydiving activities and she drives to Katy a fair amount showing houses to clients.

I bought several cases of bottled water for the meet. I'll pick up something for snacks this weekend. Preferences, anyone?
    Ok, so it sounds like both you and your wife are going up against HPD most of the time. HPD uses the PL3. The ZR4s actually have a fighting chance against this gun:

Radar Detector Tests and Reviews by Guys of LIDAR - LASER

This may be the reason why you and your wife have had so much success so I bet your wife's car will do extremely well against the PL3 at our jammer meet. However, this isn't the only gun used in Houston. If you go on the Tollways or down to Sugar Land, you'll run into the Ultralyte which the ZR4s struggle mightily against especially on up close shots (less than 500ft). And if you go down to Galveston, I hear they use the Stalker LZ-1 which the ZR4s alos struggle against. TX DPS also uses the Ultralyte.

I have not been overly concerned with shutting the ZR4 jammer off quickly because I keep reading that the shooter will get a speed reading pretty quickly anyway.
    I understand your logic behind this but you should still always shut off your jammer as quickly as possible and never JTG. You don't know how good of a shooter the LEO is. Maybe he/she isn't skilled enough to beat your setup. You simply don't know so the most logical thing to do is shut the jammer off ASAP and be on your way.

BTW that wasn't me in the video. That was erickonphoenix.
    Last edited by snoopyc4; 05-11-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Professional

I did some testing today with my ProLaser 2 against my zr4's.
    I got JTG on CM and HL's. I have no Veil or chrome. I run a front plate.
    The only driver I could find to drive my car while I shot was my dad. I think he was having more fun than me. I forgot to take note of the base run range I was getting a speed from but it was a loooooong way out.
    I'll do some more testing on the weekend and record my results.

It's the first time I have shot lidar and it's my first gun.
    I can't believe how fun it is. I parked on the side of the highway and practiced on some passing cars. I was really impressed with how quick the gun got my targets speed.

When I turn it on it shows it's running software version 5.14 and displays speed in kph. Is this an older or newer version?
    All in all I'm happy with my gun
    Last edited by barryswanson; 05-14-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Yoda of Radar

Heh... good times! I remember when I was a lidar n00b. I lost track of the number of times that people called 911 on me sitting on the side of the road shooting traffic. Sometimes they tell the police I'm a suspicious person. Sometimes they tell them that I've had a wreck and am trapped in my car. People are idiots. You quickly learn that when you start shooting lidar.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    I lost track of the number of times that people called 911 on me sitting on the side of the road shooting traffic. Sometimes they tell the police I'm a suspicious person. Sometimes they tell them that I've had a wreck and am trapped in my car. People are idiots. You quickly learn that when you start shooting lidar.
    Hahaha that is really funny that people called you in as being trapped in your car.
    All those people = FAIL.

Professional

I got some pretty good results with my two heads on the front so I'm not going to bother with putting the rear head on the front. I'm too worried that it'll screw up my system.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Heh... good times! I remember when I was a lidar n00b. I lost track of the number of times that people called 911 on me sitting on the side of the road shooting traffic. Sometimes they tell the police I'm a suspicious person. Sometimes they tell them that I've had a wreck and am trapped in my car. People are idiots. You quickly learn that when you start shooting lidar.
    I had that happen to me and had to deal with about 5 wanna be cops aka sheriff's giving me hell for close to two hrs searching me wishing the gun was stolen ect

Turns out of course it wasn't stolen they took it over night which they never should of done

Makes me Want to Buy a laser gun and do this all the time since IT'S NOT ILLEGAL they just try to in force laws that aren't there Jealous I was using a toy they do I think

Newcomer

I thought the same thing about 3 heads in the front. But I saw a video on Radar Roys blog where he reviewed and tested this product and said the front and rear heads will not sync up at the same pulse rate and actually reduce the jamming capabilities. That is if they are all facing the same direction.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by big fast View Post
    I thought the same thing about 3 heads in the front. But I saw a video on Radar Roys blog where he reviewed and tested this product and said the front and rear heads will not sync up at the same pulse rate and actually reduce the jamming capabilities. That is if they are all facing the same direction.
    Testing has proven otherwise. All three heads up front always tests out better than two.

Newcomer

Cool. I think I'll move all 3 zr4 heads to the rear and put LI quad in front.