Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Professional

Default Re: MEM-TEK modifications on ZR4

Interesting stuff. I wonder why in the first vid one of your heads was so dull? I remember filming my zr4's fire and they where both appeared even in output.

Newcomer

Not sure. It's possible the guy who had it before me had issues with it. Or they fired independently depending on which sensor got the most IR. Or it could be the way the front shifters are aligned.

Front shifters work great before albeit a little dimmer. However the Rear shifter didn't respond when i got it.

I popped open the rear shifter and guess what I found:

Rust and corrosion everywhere but mainly around the receiver section.

The internals are covered by a metal shield so I'll have to desolder the shield to see what's else is messed up.

The display module did not show any malfunction but it's obvious now why you should tape your heads.

I'll post more pics of this repair when I can get my hands on a soldering iron and solder remover.

Newcomer

Sorry no pics. I unsoldered the metal cage that houses the photodiode circuitry. The photoLEDs weren't getting any current because a resistor broke off. Lots of teeny tiny capacitors and resistors on that board. Saw a couple of pads that were missing a capacitor here and a resistor there.

We didn't know what went where until we looked up one of the chips and followed the paths. It looked like a NEC linear video amplifier . From that, we gathered that the dielectrics that popped off were capacitors that fed in and out of the 1663 chip.

Added the caps and then tested it. It works good now. Now I know when I'm getting hit from behind.
    Last edited by roninmd; 10-28-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Good Citizen

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this thread again. And very funny post from everyone before, I guess MEM-TEK is not here right now. Anyways, If anyone does own a MEM-TEK modified Shifter it would be great if you could share some photos of it. Maybe I could reverse engineer it. Not for profit of course because it wouldn't be my own design, but if it works out and if anyone else wanted theirs modified I would be happy to do it for them if they could spare just the money for parts.

In the mean time I have been continuing developing my own mods. My ideal is to use the pulse train that is being sent to the heads and use it to drive another head with a more powerful laser diode. This extra head would fire exactly like the other LED heads but just with more power. I would essentially be using the ZR3s as a trigger, since they have great laser detection adding more power should make a good jammer.

The amplifier I had in mind was something like this. The pulse source would either come from the control module, or I could actually put the laser diode inside the old heads and use the pulse that is being sent to the LEDs as a pulse source. V supply should be just he 14V coming from the alternator. But when I looked at the voltage coming from the control module it was 10V, this means there must be a regulator inside the control module. I am not sure what the current rating is on the regulator and it might not be enough for driving the laser diode
    [IMG][/IMG]

When samq45 was kind enough to test my setup, I had a splitter running from the control module to a data acquisition unit so I could record the signals that are used to communicate. I had the power and ground switched so it reads -10V, but it looks like the white wire next to the positive power wire carries the pulse (the cable has 4 wires, power and gnd on each side and two white wires in the middle). You can see in the left that at first the zr3s were firing and then samq45 stopped shotting and the pulse coming from the control module stopped. and on the left is a time expanded view. The ptp voltage on this isn't very high, it may be that this is just a drain on the 10V bus that I am seeing. So the pulse might be generated inside the head. In that case I should be able to use pulse being sent to the LED's inside the head to trigger my laser diode driver and the laser diode from an old LPP head samq45 was kind enough to give me
    [IMG][/IMG]

again, if anyone has a mem-tek mod'd zr3/4 some pictures of the inside would be great!

Newcomer

Great work on the schematic. I'll have the family engineer take a look at it. This stuff looks way more advanced than what Mem-tek was doing.

I'd keep the V supply separate until you know exactly how much juice your separate head and control module will take. You should be able to figure that out. Burning out the control module and then having to resolder the caps is a pain in the neck.

If it were me, I'd take a picture of the control modules circuits, noting the components and have replacement parts ready before even using the bus as a v supply for that extra head of yours.

By the way, checkout the wireless sensor bar for the wii.
    It's just an IR LED array but you could totally use the housing for your extra head.
    It's on ebay for about 7 bucks but you can get it cheaper on overstock, or amazon.
    It's got enough room in there for your laser diodes and then some all within a sleek design.
    Your circuit or part of it is probably in that board already so you probably don't have to do much to make it work out.
    Last edited by roninmd; 02-02-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Good Citizen

I have actaully done an entire ramafication of this circuit. Sorry for not updating sooner. Basically the OSRAM SPL90-3 laser diodes are over powered and they burn out if turned on for too long. I think the maximum pulse width is about 40nm. So what Osram recommends is using a discharge capacitor. Basically by using the correct C value, you ensure that there is only enough current to run the laser diode for only 40nm. I didn't do the calculation yet. You will have to google for the datasheet. there is a graph of current versus voltage. Integrating under the curve you can figure you how many coulombs you need. And then by picking the right R1 value you will have a charge time on 1/(RC) which will be much longer than the pulse (1-10ms) so you don't have to worry about it bring on too longer.

For V supply you can just use 14V. The zener diode is setting the charge voltage of the discharge cap. For the pulse source, there is a thread on here where someone took pictures of the insides of the ZR3 and ZR4. in there you can read the part number of a gate driver. that part would be perfect for driving this thing! I learned in my test with samq45 that the wires from the control module carries no signal.